Sustainability Leadership and Skills for Students
Providing students with the knowledge and skills to become sustainability leaders.
What is Sustainability Leadership and Skills for Students?
By taking part, you will be equipped with the necessary knowledge, skills, competencies and values to take action to address the climate crisis and deliver change for sustainability.
The programme is open to all students and is free to take part in. The programme starts in October and takes place over a period of eight months. It will be delivered online.
Students can gain official recognition for their participation in the programme through the University’s Edinburgh Award. The total time commitment for students is 50 hours across the eight months (just over six hours each month), dividing time between learning, skills and impact activities.
Sustainability Leadership and Skills for Students is part of the University’s efforts to provide students with opportunities to critically engage with and learn about the climate crisis and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
This programme was formerly known as Student Pathways.
- Access to challenge based learning, events and trainings
- Connect with students from across the University
- Develop transferable professional and personal skills
- Funding opportunities for student-led projects
- Hear from students, graduates and leaders about their experience of driving change
- Improve knowledge of climate change and sustainability through short online courses
- Join a supportive community of like-minded students
- Official recognition for professional development.
- October: Welcome and induction
- Two sessions per semester: “Driving Change for Sustainability” sessions with students, graduates and leaders
- November: Careers for a Sustainable Future
- Monthly community sessions
- April: Celebration and join the alumni network
Other elements of the programme include Carbon Literacy Training, Crash Course: Communicating Sustainability, the Students Guide to event series, Introduction to Sustainability training and the Climate Solutions short online course.
Students will be able to keep in contact with each other between sessions through a Microsoft Teams channel.
Feedback from students
Around 150 students have participated in the programme since 2018 and have shared some insights about their experiences.
Given the circumstances with Covid and the lack of in person participation with my degree, it was very nice to connect with people during the sessions to discuss sustainability with some actual real people!
Helps deepen knowledge of sustainability by connecting you to a group of like-minded people.
Really liked the opportunity to actually apply my communication, organisational and team working skills in practice, and reflect on what I could improve on.
Improved my confidence about my own level of knowledge of sustainability issues and what I can individually do to make a change.
Register by the end of October
If you would like to participate in Sustainability Leadership and Skills for Students please complete this registration form.
Students are encouraged to complete registration for the programme by the end of October.
If you have any questions about the programme or would like further information please use the contact details below.