Welcome from Social Responsibility and Sustainability
Our department provides all students with lots of different ways to learn more about social responsibility and sustainability while at University.
Who are we?
The University's Department for Social Responsibility and Sustainability helps the University to make a positive impact on society in many ways, from reducing the institution's carbon emissions and waste to improving the lives of people across Edinburgh. We also work with every part of the University, including academic schools, to ensure students have opportunities to learn more about social responsibility and sustainability while at University.
What can you do?
We offer lots of ways for you to learn more about social responsibility and sustainability at the University, from quick online training to events, student placements or funding for your bright ideas. To ensure you hear about all these opportunities, sign up for our newsletter and follow our social media channels.
Read more ways to get involved below.
Step 1: Sign up to hear about our latest news
Step 2: Complete our 30 minute online training
Step 3: Read our quick tips for new students
Quick tips for new students
Find out about many more opportunities and advice in the student section of our website.
What to look out for this semester
We have a variety of events and opportunities coming up that might be right for you:
- Our Changing World: a series of public lectures examining global challenges facing society, and the role of academia in meeting these challenges
- Student Pathways: explore the Sustainable Development Goals and Climate Leadership alongside your degree
- Energy Detectives: become an Energy Detective to find common energy problems across the University (and win prizes!)
- We love reuse: look out for new drinking water points being installed across campus, and remember to bring your reusable bottles and coffee cups
- Global Environment & Society Academy (GESA) events: open to all postgraduate students with an interest in environment and society
Welcome Week activities
- Monday 10 September 11:00-16:00: Freshers' Expo
- Tuesday 11 September 12:00-18:00: Postgraduate Services Fair
- Friday 14 September 2018 10:00 onwards: Freshers' Festival
Here are some other Welcome Week activities to do with social responsibility and sustainability:
- Monday 10 September 11:00-13:00: Welcome to your Fairtrade University
- Monday 10 September 11:00-16:00: SHRUB Freshers' Free Shop
- Thursday 13 September 14:00-16:00: Discover Sustainable Edinburgh (walking tour)
Get in touch
If you ever have any questions or ideas about social responsibility and sustainability at the University, remember you can contact us any time and we will be happy to help.