Philippa A Rust
Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer, University of Edinburgh
Specialist Clinical Interests
Osteoarthritis at base of thumb, Ligament stability of trapeziometacarpal joint, Wrist biomechanics and motion, Anatomical studies of hand and wrist, Tendon injury rehabilitation.
Desired future Projects
Wrist motion, Use of arthoscopy in wrist surgery. Outcomes following wrist surgery.
Anatomical study of wrist, affiliated with Dept of Anatomy, University of Edinburgh.
Instability of trapeziometacarpal joint, affiliated with Department of Anatomy, University of Edinburgh and Biomechanical Engineering Department and Orthopaedic Department , Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh. Clinical study of trapeziometacarpal joint affiliated with Department of Hand Surgery, St Vincent's Hospital Melbourne.
- Yong LY, Rust P. Use of a Cortical Screw to Aid Single Piece Excision in Proximal Row Carpectomy. Submitted to Hand Surgery Dec 2013.
- Rust P, Ek E, Tham S. Assessment of normal trapeziometacarpal joint alignment – implications for surgical management Submitted to Journal of Hand Surgery American. Nov 2013.
- Goldie S, Sargeant H, Rust P, Anderson W. A footballer’s finger injury. BMJ. 2013; 15; 347.
- Rust P, Tham S. Ligament Reconstruction of the Trapezial-metacarpal Joint for Early Arthritis. Journal of Hand Surgery American. 2011; 36(11):1748-52.
- Rust PA, Bennett T. An uncommon cause of a common problem. Hand Surgery. 2009; 14(2-3): 131-134.
- Rust PA, Eckersley R. Twenty questions on tendon injuries in the hand. Review article. Current Orthopaedics. 2008; 22(1): 17-24.
- Rust PA, Kalsi P, Cannon SR, Briggs TW, Blunn GW. Will mesenchymal stem cells differentiate into osteoblasts on allograft? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007;457:220-6.
- Rust PA, Tingerides C, Cannon SR, Briggs TWR, Blunn GW. The effect of cryopreservation on the osteogenic potential of human mesenchymal stem cells. Cryoletters. 2006;27(1):17-28.
- Korda M, Blunn GW, Phipps K, Rust PA, Di Silvio L, Coathup MJ, Goodship AE, Hua J. Can mesenchymal stem cells survive under normal impaction force in revision total hip replacements? Tissue Engineering. 2006;12(3):625-630.
- O’Neil J, Rust P, Knight D, Ricketts D. Greens could be bad for you: A study of the inappropriate use of theatre greens. Southern Medical Journal. 2005;98(10):1053-4.
- Keong N, Ricketts D, Alakeson N, Rust P. Pressure sores following elective total hip arthoplasty: pitfalls of misinterpretation. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons. 2004;84:174-176.
- Rust PA, Black SA, Arnold F, Corbett CRR, Patterson MH. Mortality rates in league tables – fact or fiction? Journal of Bone Joint Surgery B SI. 2008; 90:32.
- Korda M, Sharpe J, Rust P, J Hua, Phipps K, Di Silvio L, Coathup M, Goodship A, Blunn G. The effect of impaction forces on viability of MSCs in revision total hip replacement. Journal of Bone Joint Surg B SIII. 2006;88-B:364.
- Rust PA, Blunn GW, Cannon SR, Briggs TW. Tissue engineering using a novel bioreactor to heal bone defects. Journal of Bone Joint Surg B SI. 2006;88-B:34.
- Rust PA, Blunn GW, Cannon SR, and Briggs TW. Bone can be produced from growing bone marrow cells in a novel bioreactor. Journal of Bone Joint Surg B SIII. 2005;87-B:221.
- Rust PA, Kalsi P, Blunn GW, Cannon SR, and Briggs TW. Mesenchymal stem cells increase the osteogenic potential of bone allograft. Journal of Bone Joint Surg B SIII. 2005;87-B:222-3.
- Rust P, Dewar D, Shenton K, Cummins R. Breast infection with Dirofilaria repens – first reported UK case. The Breast. 2002;11(2):203-204.
- Rust P, Hunt I, Jowett A, Rottenberg G, Wallis D. Alcohol and X-rays in emergency department. Emergency Medicine Journal. 2001;18:460-461
- Rust P, Ashkan A, Ball C, Stapleton S, Marsh H. Two cases of Gliomatosis Cerebri. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience. 2001;8(4):361-3.
- Rust PA, Tanna N, Spicer DDM. Repair of ruptured quadriceps tendon with Leeds-Keio ligament. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 2008;16(4):370-372.
- Hunt I, Rust P. Toxicology screening in Trauma. Journal of Accident & Emergency Medicine. 2001;18:147.