His main clinical interest is Rhinology and in particular endoscopic surgery of the sinuses and anterior skull base.
Appointments and Activities
Mr Hathorn was appointed as a Consultant Otolaryngologist to the University of Edinburgh Otolaryngology Department in 2013 and became an Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer later that year.
In 2014 Mr Hathorn was appointed Undergraduate Lead for the St John’s Hospital, Lauriston Building and Eye Pavilion sites and in 2019 was appointed Associate Director of Medical Education, NHS Lothian.
Following undergraduate training in Bristol, Mr Hathorn undertook surgical and ENT training in Bristol, London, Edinburgh, Dundee and Australia. He completed his formal training with an Endoscopic Sinus Surgery and Skull Base Surgery fellowship in St. Paul’s Sinus Centre, Vancouver, British Columbia. He has subsequently established the Edinburgh Endoscopic Pituitary and Anterior Skull Base service with neurosurgical colleagues.
Mr Hathorn is invited faculty on a number of national and international Rhinology surgical training courses and ENT courses including:
- Neurosurgical Course, Endoscopic Approaches, Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh, 2017 to present
- Endoscopic Sinus Surgery Course, Vancouver, Canada, 2012 & 2017
- Advanced Rhinoplasty Course, University of Dundee, 2013 to present
- Navigated Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery Course, Manchester, 2015
- Scottish Practical ENT Skills Course, Edinburgh, 2017 to present
- ST3 Interview Course, Edinburgh, 2014 - 2018
- Endoscopic Frontal sinus surgery course, Cuschieri Skills Centre, Dundee, 2014 to present
- Lacrimal and Orbit course, Cuschieri Skills Centre, Dundee, 2015 to present
- Endoscopic pituitary/Anterior Skull Base Surgery, Cuschieri Skills Centre, Dundee, 2016
- Endoscopic Sinus and Skull Base Surgery Course, Norwich, 2014 & 2016
- Endoscopic Sinus & Skull Base Surgery Course, Minimal Access Training Unit, Guildford, 2013 & 2015
- FRCS ORL-HNS Revison Course, 2015 - present
- Established the Edinburgh Endoscopic Pituitary/Anterior Skull Base Service with Consultant Neurosurgical colleague 2014 to present
- British Rhinological Society Council Member, 2015 to current
- ENT Scotland Rhinology Subgroup Chair, 2016 – 2018
- ENT Scotland representative on Scottish Government Review Group of Adult Exceptional Aesthetic Referral Protocol, 2017 - 2018
- Examiner Intercollegiate Diploma of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (DOHNS), 2017 to present
- Member of Advisory group to the Dean of Clinical Medicine, University of Edinburgh, 2015 - 2018
- Member of Year 5 Undergraduate Committee, University of Edinburgh, 2014 to present
- Member of University of Edinburgh MBChB Programme Management Group, 2014 to present
- Scottish Otolaryngological Society Council Member, 2009 – 2011
- Principal Investigator for MACRO trial (Defining best management in Adult Chronic Rhinosinusitis), funded by NIHR, 2019
Mr Hathorn’s educational qualifications are:
- Bachelor of Sciences (BSc Hons), First Class, University of Bristol, 1998
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBChB), University of Bristol, 2001
- Diploma of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (DOHNS), Royal College of Surgeons, England, 2006
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (FRCSEd ORL-HNS), Edinburgh, 2010
- Postgraduate Certificate of Medical Education (PGCME), University of Dundee, 2011
- Recent Advances in Otolaryngology, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers, 2012, ISBN 9789350257906 Chapter 17- Balloon sinuplasty in the treatment of sinus disease in the operating room.
- ENT Bullets - Key Revision for Postgraduate and Exit Exams, Thieme Publishers, 2014, ISBN: 9783131662217, Chapter 26 - Fungal Sinus Disease. Chapter 31 - Tumours of the Nose and Paranasal Sinuses.
- Macleod's Clinical Examination, 14th Edition, Chapter 9, 'The Ear, Nose and Throat', Elsevier, 2018 ISBN: 9780702069932
- Bailey and Love, 27th Edition Chapter 46 'The ear, nose and sinuses', CRC, Press 2018. ISBN: 9781138031661
- Logan Turner, ENT Head and Neck Emergencies, Chapter 1 'Epistaxis,' CRC Press, 2018. ISBN: 9781138616530
Please click here for a list of Iain Hathorn's publications.