The history of the School of Surgery, the Regius Chair of Clinical Surgery, and surgical teaching and research in Edinburgh.
Details of our history are available to download as PDFs.
School of Surgery
The School grew out of the 1505 Incorporation of Barbers and Surgeons in Edinburgh.
Chair of Clinical Surgery
Thirteen people have held the Chair of Clinical Surgery since its establishment in 1802. The current Chair is Professor Stephen J. Wigmore.
Teaching and Research
The origins of surgical teaching and research, both of which are now located at the Little France site in Edinburgh.