Undergraduate study - 2022 entry
Open to the world

Personal Tutor

Every undergraduate student has a Personal Tutor (PT), a member of the teaching staff who provides academic guidance and support.

Personal Tutors work with you to help you:

  • review your academic progress
  • reflect on how your learning can help you pursue your future development
  • engage with a community of learners
  • address any concerns or problems that might affect your studies

You’ll have online tools to make notes on your progress and discussions to reflect on advice and feedback from staff.

Your Personal Tutor is there to help you make the most of your studies as an individual as you progress through your university career.

How the Personal Tutor system will benefit you

Meeting your Personal Tutor

You will have a one-to-one meeting with your Personal Tutor at least once each semester.

The first meeting is usually during induction or the first two weeks of the semester. You can arrange other meetings at any time during the semester.

You can make detailed notes on the Personal Tutor channel in MyEd, the University's web portal. These will form a record of your reflection, understanding and activities.

Martin Lam

Martin Lam, like all undergraduates has regular meetings with his Personal Tutor.

"Everyone is different and people need different levels of support to adapt to university both socially and academically.
"For me, this is the most important part of a Personal Tutor system – just knowing that someone is there to help, or to speak to."

Personal support: my story

Personal Tutoring Statements

Each School has a Personal Tutoring Statement that explains:

  • how the Personal Tutoring system operates
  • the purpose and timing of one-to-one and group meetings
  • key contacts in schools, such as the Student Support Team

Personal Tutoring Statements are tailored to allow each school to meet the needs of their subjects, programme structures and professional requirements within the University’s framework for student support.

School and College support

You'll also be able to call on your School's Student Support Team (SST). Student Support Teams will help you with routine queries and provide administrative student support. The team has a wealth of knowledge about the University’s services and offers a valuable source of information and guidance.

In addition, each school also has a Senior Tutor who supports the Personal Tutors and ensures that the Personal Tutor system is working effectively. The Senior Tutor has responsibility for the School Personal Tutoring Statement.

Each college also has a Dean of Students who oversees student support in the College.

Detailed advice

In most cases, your PT or SST will be able to answer your questions, however, there may be occasions where you are referred to another source of support.

This might be a University support office, the Advice Place, the Careers Service or a study support adviser, for example.