Undergraduate study - 2018 entry

What financial support is available?

If your normal home address is in a European Union country outside of the UK, there may be money available to help fund your time at university.

Female student studying in the ground floor library café

We’re committed to helping students of all ages and social backgrounds enter higher education and recruiting the best students regardless of financial situation.

What help is there?

  • future changes to the fee status and available funding for EU students will depend on the timing and terms of the UK's exit from the European Union.
  • you may be eligible for your tuition fees to be paid by the Scottish Government
  • you may be eligible for government student loans and bursaries

Support with fees

The Scottish Government has confirmed free tuition in Scotland for EU students enrolling in the 2017/18 and 2018/19 academic years. Students will be admitted as Scottish/EU fee status students, will retain that status for the duration of their studies, and are eligible for tuition fee support from the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS).

Student loans

If you have been resident in the UK for three years prior to starting your studies and resident in Scotland by the first day of the first academic year of your programme, you may be entitled to apply for student support.

You should also check with student support agencies in your home country to see if money is available to help you study abroad.

Further details on financial support for EU students are available from the Student Awards Agency Scotland.

University of Edinburgh funding

We offer a number of scholarships to full-time undergraduate students who demonstrate academic excellence.