SQA Higher subjects accepted for general university entry purposes.
For many degrees, we will expect you to have achieved certain grades in specific subjects.
We do not typically count subjects that contain a high proportion of common material (such as biology and human biology) separately.
Check which Highers we accept for general entry:
- Administration and IT
- Agricultural Science
- Applications of Mathematics
- Architectural Technology
- Art and Design
- Automotive Engineering
- Business Management
- Childcare and Development
- Civil Engineering
- Classical Greek
- Classical Studies
- Communication Studies
- Computing Science
- Craft and Design
- Design and Manufacture
- Design and Technology
- Early Education and Childcare
- Electrical Engineering
- Engineering Science
- ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages)*
- Environmental Science
- Fabrication and Welding Engineering
- Fashion and Textile Technology / Home Economics: Fashion and Textile Technology**
- Gaelic (Learners)
- Graphic Communication
- Health and Food Technology / Home Economics: Health and Food Technology
- Home Economics: Lifestyle and Consumer Technology
- Human Biology
- Information Systems
- Land Use (Built Environment)
- Managing Environmental Resources
- Mandarin (Simplified)
- Mandarin (Traditional)
- Mathematics (please note Higher Applications of Mathematics is not accepted in place of Higher Mathematics)
- Mechanical Engineering
- Modern Studies
- Music Technology
- Physical Education
- Product Design
- Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies
- Technological Studies
* Not in place of Higher English where this is required for degrees in English Literature and Scottish Literature. Higher ESOL may meet the requirement for Higher English for degrees in Law when taken in combination with other subjects. You should contact us for further advice.
** Not approved for general University entry but will be considered for Art and Design degrees (excluding MA Fine Art).
*** Not approved for general University entry but will be considered for Art and Design degrees (excluding MA Fine Art), including Architecture and Landscape Architecture.
**** Not in place of other required science subjects.
- Care Practice / Care Practice – Mental Health Care
- Dance Practice
- Health and Social Care
- Hospitality – Professional Cookery
- Personal Development
- Photography for the Media
- Retail Travel
- Travel and Tourism
If a subject is not showing on the list it may still be accepted for entry to certain degrees. We have a process of reviewing and approving subjects for entry; however, new subjects, in particular, may still be subject to formal approval.
Get in touch if you need advice on the acceptability of any subject for entry to a particular degree, or on subjects sharing common material.
As long as you are sitting the required subjects listed in the degree finder for your programme, we would advise you to do subjects that you enjoy most, or the subjects you are most likely to do well in.
Doing subjects that you are most likely to do well in, gives you the best chance of meeting the entry requirements.
We use different terms in the degree finder like 'required' and 'preferred' subjects when talking about entry requirements.
When we use these terms, we mean:
- Required: must have this subject
Preferred: will get preference in selection if you have this subject
Recommended: this subject is good preparation for this degree
Native language Highers
We do accept A Levels and Highers in a native language with some exceptions where a native language cannot be used to meet a language requirement. If this is the case it will be shown on the degree finder.