BSc Integrative Biomedical Sciences (based in China)
UCAS code: Not applicable
Duration: 4 years
School: Edinburgh Medical School: Biomedical Sciences
College: Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
Introducing BSc Integrative Biomedical Sciences (based in China)
The aim of biomedical science is to understand the function of the human body. It looks at the molecular, cellular, organ and system levels, in both health and disease.
Biomedical scientists integrate knowledge gained from research across a range of related disciplines and apply it to the analysis of disease mechanisms.
The basic research carried out by biomedical scientists is fundamental for developments and innovation in disease:
Biomedical scientists develop scientific, experimental, analytical, ethical and critical skills. These can contribute to major improvements in human health and the treatment of illness.
As a graduate, your understanding of biomedical sciences will enable you to contribute to, and guide, public debate on issues that affect healthcare for present and future generations.
Study in China
This programme is based in Haining, China. It is taught in English by staff from:
- Zhejiang University
- The University of Edinburgh
- The Zhejiang University-University of Edinburgh Institute (ZJU-UoE Institute)
On completing this programme, you will be awarded a BSc Integrative Biomedical Sciences qualification from both Zhejiang University and the University of Edinburgh.
The ZJU-UoE Institute is a collaboration between Zhejiang University and The University of Edinburgh in the field of biomedical sciences.
Together, we have established an international research institute at the International Campus of Zhejiang University in Haining, China. This builds on the strengths of our institutions and fosters collaboration in teaching and research.
This is a new and exciting collaboration. It is the first of its kind for both universities, making this a unique opportunity for students of biomedical sciences.
Biomedical scientists use skills and knowledge from a range of related disciplines like:
Research in biomedical science is key to understanding physiological and pathophysiological mechanisms. It is also crucial to disease diagnosis, treatment and prevention.
The aim of this dual award programme is to produce highly-skilled scientists who will be future leaders in biomedical sciences.
This year's theme is 'the importance of biomedical sciences to medicine and health'.
You will learn about:
- fundamental concepts in biomedical sciences
- the structure and functions of the major organ systems
- key concepts in molecular and cell biology
You will take the following compulsory courses:
- Integrative Biomedical Sciences 1
- Introduction to Cellular and Molecular Biology 1
- Advanced Mathematics
You will complement this knowledge with one option from a choice of two elective courses:
- Introduction to Biomedical Informatics 1
- Biomedical Horizons
This year's theme is 'foundational understanding of biomedical sciences'.
You will build on your knowledge and skills, learning about:
- the theory and practice of techniques in basic and applied biomedical science research
- key concepts in biology, such as development, evolution and the genetic basis of life
- important body systems
- modern human molecular genetics
- the fundamental characteristics of microorganisms involved in human disease
You will take the following compulsory courses:
- Applied Biomedical Sciences 2
- Integrated Functions of Body Systems 2
- Building an Organism 2
- Biomedical Genetics 2
- Microorganisms and Immunity 2
This year's theme is 'developing knowledge from experiment'.
You will continue to develop the following attributes of a biomedical scientist:
- depth and breadth of knowledge
- analytical and critical skills
- research and enquiry
This year features a strong practical component. You will develop your practical laboratory skills and your understanding and application of experimental design.
You will take three compulsory courses:
- Integrative Biomedical Sciences 3
- Human Disease: From Research to Clinic 3A
- Human Disease: From Research to Clinic 3B
Plus two optional courses from the following:
- Principles of Neuroscience 3
- Molecular Biology and Epigenetics 3
- Endocrine and Reproductive Biology 3
- Infection 3
This year's theme is 'research in practice'.
You will take the following compulsory courses:
- Integrative Biomedical Sciences 4
- Integrative Biomedical Sciences Project Preview
- Integrative Biomedical Sciences Research Project
- Future Perspectives 4
These aim to reinforce and extend your knowledge, critical thinking and communication skills.
You will also take two optional courses that discuss cutting-edge topics in-depth, choosing from:
- Biomedical Image Analysis
- Brain, Cognition and Artificial Intelligence
- Inflammation and Inflammatory Diseases
- Cancer Biology
- Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine
With one-to-one support from a supervisor, you will complete a major research project involving original laboratory-based research.
Your studies will take place in state-of-the-art facilities at the new Zhejiang University International Campus.
Situated in Haining, China, between Hangzhou and Shanghai, the campus homes students from more than 50 countries. It features:
- newly-built and well-equipped spaces for teaching and learning
- newly-built, well-equipped research and teaching laboratories
- on-site accommodation
- extensive library and sporting facilities
How will I learn?
Your development as a biomedical scientist, and as an individual, is fostered through:
- lectures and tutorials that teach biomedical knowledge and its underlying scientific principles
- problem-based learning that encourages an analytical and interpretative approach to problem-solving
- practical skills in the design and execution of laboratory-based experimental investigation
- research in practice that builds your understanding of the research methodologies governing the quantification, analysis and interpretation of scientific data
How will I be assessed?
We use in-course assessment and exams in all years.
Your degree classification for your University of Edinburgh degree will be based on your performance in Years 3 and 4.
Your degree classification for your Zhejiang University degree will be based on your performance over the four years of the programme.
A large proportion of biomedical sciences graduates choose to go on to further study before entering academic or industry-based research careers, or healthcare-related professions.
Graduates generally enter employment that requires:
- an understanding of biomedical processes
- the ability to research novel questions using scientific literature and data collected from scientific experiments
These careers include:
- laboratory research
- disease diagnosis
- the pharmaceutical industry
- scientific publishing
The skills and knowledge you will gain on this programme also equip you for employment in the non-science sector, including:
- policy research
Applications and admissions for Chinese nationals will be through the usual Chinese national university admission process.
International applicants (non-Chinese passport holders)
These are the requirements that students must have (or be predicted to attain) to be considered for entry. Each year there is a specific number of places available and where the number of applicants exceeds the number of places then a selection process based on academic achievement, personal statement and references will be used. Meeting the entry requirement does not guarantee a place on the programme.
SQA Highers: ABBB by end of S5 or AABB/ABBBB by end of S6, to include Biology and Chemistry at B. BBB must be achieved in one year of S4-S6. Higher Mathematics or Physics and Advanced Higher Biology and Chemistry are recommended. National 5s: Mathematics at B and English at C.
A levels: ABB, in one sitting, to include Biology and Chemistry at B. Mathematics or Physics is recommended. GCSEs: Mathematics at B or 6 and English at C or 4.
IB: 32 points with 655 at HL to include Biology and Chemistry, one at 5 and one at 6. Mathematics or Physics is recommended. SL: English at 5 and Mathematics: Analysis and approaches or Mathematics: Applications and interpretation at 4.
Regardless of your nationality or country of residence, you must demonstrate a level of English language competency at a level that will enable you to succeed in your studies.
SQA, GCSE and IB
For SQA, GCSE and IB students, unless a higher level is specified in the stated entry requirements, a pass is required in English at the following grades or higher:
- SQA National 5 at C
- GCSE at C or 4
- Level 2 Certificate at C
- IB Standard Level at 5 (English ab initio is not accepted for entry)
English language tests
We accept the following English language qualifications at the grades specified:
- IELTS Academic: total 6.5 with at least 6.0 in each component.
- TOEFL iBT (including Home Edition): total 92 with at least 23 in each component. We do not accept TOEFL MyBest Score to meet our English language requirements.
- C1 Advanced (CAE) / C2 Proficiency (CPE): total 176 with at least 169 in each component.
- Trinity ISE: ISE II with distinctions in all four components.
- PTE Academic (including Online): total 62 with at least 59 in each component.
We also accept a wider range of international qualifications and tests.
English language qualifications must be no more than three and a half years old from the start date of the degree you are applying to study, unless you are using IELTS, PTE Academic, TOEFL or Trinity ISE, in which case it must be no more than two years old.
This information is part of a government initiative to enhance the material that higher education institutions provide about their degree programmes.
It is one of many sources of information which will enable you to make an informed decision on what and where to study.
Please note that some programmes do not have Discover Uni data available.
You will be responsible for the cost of your accommodation and living expenses on the International Campus of Zhejiang University in Haining, China.
Fees and scholarships
You can find information about fees and scholarships for this programme on the ZJU-UoE Institute website:
ZJU-UoE Institute - fees and scholarships
For more information on how much it will cost to study with us and the financial support available see our fees and funding information.
- ZJE International Admissions Team
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (+86) 0571-87572810
- Web: Integrative Biomedical Sciences (based in China) website