Subject area: Islamic Studies and Middle Eastern Studies
Why choose Islamic Studies and Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Edinburgh?
We are ranked 6th in the UK for Middle Eastern studies in the Complete University Guide 2018. We are ranked 14th in the world for arts and humanities in Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2018 by Subject.
The University offers 16 languages for study at degree level and more than 140 joint language programmes. This creates a diverse and uniquely exciting and stimulating environment for language study.
Our teaching staff are also highly active researchers, passing on to you the same passion and world-class expertise that gained excellent results in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014. Our Arabic and Persian research was part of the Area Studies submission in which 73 per cent of our publications rated either world-leading or internationally excellent on the overall quality profile.
The University has a long and well-established reputation for teaching about Islam and the history, culture, languages and literatures of the Middle East. Arabic, for example, has been taught here since the middle of the 18th century.
We are the only university in Scotland to offer courses in the three main languages of the Muslim world - Arabic, Persian and Turkish. We welcome beginners with no previous knowledge of these languages.
Edinburgh is home to many Middle Eastern communities and this diversity really helps create a more immersive study experience.
Introducing Islamic Studies and Middle Eastern Studies
Exploring past and present, through the study of language, literature, culture and history, both Islamic studies and Middle Eastern studies provide a comprehensive training in history, with an emphasis on critical and analytical skills.
Our programmes in this area involve discussion of key issues, practice in applying concepts, both in discussion and in writing, analysis and interpretation of material, and feedback sessions on coursework.
Search the degree finder
Find your degree
2 degrees in Islamic Studies and Middle Eastern Studies
You may also be interested in
- Arabic (MA) T620
- Arabic and Ancient Greek (MA) QQK7
- Arabic and Business (MA) TN61
- Arabic and Economics (MA) TL61
- Arabic and French (MA) TR61
- Arabic and History (MA) TV61
- Arabic and History of Art (MA) TV63
- Arabic and Persian (MA) T621
- Arabic and Politics (MA) TL62
- Arabic and Religious Studies (MA) R4T8
- Arabic and Social Anthropology (MA) LT66
- Arabic and Spanish (MA) TR64
- Classical and Middle East Studies (MA) QT86
- Persian and English Literature (MA) T6Q3
- Persian and Middle Eastern Studies (MA) T63H
- Persian and Politics (MA) LT26
- Persian and Social Anthropology (MA) TL66
- Persian Studies (MA) T633