Subject area: Architecture and Architectural History & Heritage
Why choose Architecture and Architectural History & Heritage at the University of Edinburgh?
Our architecture programmes are prescribed by the Architects Registration Board (ARB) and have full Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) validation.
We are ranked 1st in Scotland and in the UK's top 10 universities for architecture/built environment in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021.
As a place of outstanding architectural interest and a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site, Edinburgh offers the perfect setting in which to study the built environment.
Introducing Architecture and Architectural History & Heritage
Architecture's scope is more than technical, environmental or historic expertise.
Studying and practising architecture has the potential to:
- shape culture, aspiration and community
- deepen our experience of the modern world
- imagine our futures
In Architecture, you will learn from leading architectural practitioners and researchers. You will study through architectural:
Theoretical and practical knowledge informs thematic approaches to briefs and sites.
What we cover
Our Architectural History and Heritage programme offers an unrivalled breadth of study in the historic built environment.
It places the history of architecture, fine art and heritage management in the context of urbanism and the cultural history of cities.
You will learn about:
- different architectures of the past
- the relationship of buildings and urban environments to the societies that produce them
- techniques for recording and preserving historic structures and urban fabric
All architecture students begin on the MA (Hons) Architecture programme.
At the end of Year 2, you will have a choice of pathways enabling accelerated progress or the development of broader academic interests.
You can choose between our:
- three-year BA qualification
- four-year MA (Hons) qualification, including a variant with an exchange semester or year abroad
Search the degree finder
Find your degree
4 degrees in Architecture and Architectural History & Heritage
- Architectural History and Archaeology (MA) VVH4
- Architectural History and Heritage (MA) VV31
- Architecture (BA/MA) K100
- Interior Design (BA) W250