Subject area: Linguistics
Why choose Linguistics at the University of Edinburgh?
We are ranked 2nd in the UK and 4th in the world for linguistics (QS World University Rankings by subject 2023).
We have one of the largest concentrations of university language scientists in the UK. With a cohort of over 350 students currently studying linguistics and/or English language, you will find an intellectual and welcoming community offering you a wide choice of courses and the chance to develop your skills in a supportive environment.
We have internationally recognised experts in the theoretical and empirical study of the main areas of language structure:
- syntax and semantics
- pragmatics and phonetics
- phonology and morphology
We also conduct world-leading research in:
- sociolinguistics and language variation
- the history of linguistic thought
- language acquisition
- the study of language in context
We are a leading centre for the study of language change and historical linguistics.
I wanted a lively, international university that allowed me to grow up quickly and independently. Edinburgh gave me just that.
Linguistics explores how language works. It describes how we create meaning through:
It also studies:
- the uses of language in everyday life
- ways in which language varies across society and evolves over time
- how language is mastered by children
You can study linguistics as part of a joint honours programme with a range of other subjects.
Linguistics has a long history at the University of Edinburgh. Our teaching staff have an excellent reputation for research in this area.
Linguistics is a new subject for nearly all undergraduates so you will not need prior knowledge at the beginning of the programme.
Search the degree finder
Find your degree
3 degrees in Linguistics
- Linguistics (MA) Q100
- Linguistics and English Language (MA) QQ31
- Linguistics and Social Anthropology (MA) QL16
You may also be interested in
- Celtic and Linguistics (MA) QQ15
- Chinese and Linguistics (MA) TQ11
- Classics and Linguistics (MA) QQ81
- Cognitive Science (Humanities) (MA) C851
- English Language (MA) Q302
- French and Linguistics (MA) RQ11
- German and Linguistics (MA) RQ21
- Italian and Linguistics (MA) RQ31
- Japanese and Linguistics (MA) TQ21
- Philosophy and Linguistics (MA) VQ51
- Portuguese and Linguistics (MA) RQ51
- Psychology and Linguistics (MA) CQ81
- Russian Studies and Linguistics (MA) RQ71
- Scandinavian Studies and Linguistics (MA) RQ61
- Spanish and Linguistics (MA) RQ41