Subject area: Linguistics
Why choose Linguistics at the University of Edinburgh?
We're ranked in the world’s top 3 universities and 1st in the UK for linguistics in the QS World University Rankings by subject 2021.
We have one of the largest concentration of university language scientists in the UK and with a cohort of over 350 students currently studying linguistics and/or English language you’ll find an intellectual and welcoming community offering you a wide choice of courses and the chance to develop your skills in a supportive environment.
On the MA (Hons) Linguistics, 90% of our students were satisfied with the quality of the programme (Unistats, based on National Students Survey 2018).
I wanted a lively, international university that allowed me to grow up quickly and independently. Edinburgh gave me just that
Linguistics examines how language works, describing how sounds, words, sentences and conversations combine to express and create meaning. It studies the uses of language in everyday life, the ways in which it varies across society and evolves over time, and how it is mastered by children.
Linguistics can also be studied as part of a joint honours programme with a range of other subjects.
Linguistics has a long history at the University of Edinburgh and our teaching staff have an excellent reputation for research in this area.
Linguistics is a new subject for nearly all undergraduates so you will require no prior knowledge at the beginning of the programme.
Search the degree finder
Find your degree
3 degrees in Linguistics
- Linguistics (MA) Q100
- Linguistics and English Language (MA) QQ31
- Linguistics and Social Anthropology (MA) QL16
You may also be interested in
- Celtic and Linguistics (MA) QQ15
- Chinese and Linguistics (MA) TQ11
- Classics and Linguistics (MA) QQ81
- Cognitive Science (Humanities) (MA) C851
- English Language (MA) Q302
- French and Linguistics (MA) RQ11
- German and Linguistics (MA) RQ21
- Italian and Linguistics (MA) RQ31
- Japanese and Linguistics (MA) TQ21
- Philosophy and Linguistics (MA) VQ51
- Portuguese and Linguistics (MA) RQ51
- Psychology and Linguistics (MA) CQ81
- Russian Studies and Linguistics (MA) RQ71
- Scandinavian Studies and Linguistics (MA) RQ61
- Spanish and Linguistics (MA) RQ41