BSc Integrative Biomedical Sciences (based in China)
UCAS code: Not applicable
Duration: 4 years
School: Edinburgh Medical School: Biomedical Sciences
College: Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
Introducing BSc Integrative Biomedical Sciences (based in China)
The aim of biomedical science is to understand the functioning of the human body at the molecular, cellular, organ and system levels, in health and disease.
Biomedical scientists integrate the knowledge they gain from research across a range of related disciplines and apply it to the analysis of disease mechanisms.
The basic research carried out by biomedical scientists is fundamental for developments and innovation in:
- disease diagnosis
- disease treatment
- disease prevention
Biomedical scientists develop individual scientific, experimental and critical skills that can contribute to major improvements in human health and the treatment of illness.
On graduating from this programme, you will have a level of understanding of biomedical sciences that will enable you to contribute to, and guide, public debate on issues that affect healthcare for present and future generations.
Study in China
This programme is based entirely in Haining, China. It is taught in English by staff from:
- Zhejiang University
- The University of Edinburgh
- The Zhejiang University-University of Edinburgh Institute (ZJU-UoE Institute)
On completing this programme, you will be awarded a BSc Integrative Biomedical Sciences qualification from both Zhejiang University and the University of Edinburgh.
The ZJU-UoE Institute is a collaboration between Zhejiang University and The University of Edinburgh in the field of biomedical sciences.
Together, we have established an international research institute at the International Campus of Zhejiang University in Haining, China. This builds on the strengths of our institutions and aims to foster collaboration in teaching and research.
This is a new and exciting collaboration and is the first of its kind for both universities, making this a unique opportunity for students of biomedical sciences.
Biomedical scientists use skills and knowledge from a range of related disciplines like:
Research in biomedical science is fundamental for understanding key physiological and pathophysiological mechanisms, as well as disease diagnosis, treatment and prevention.
The aim of this dual award programme is to produce highly-skilled scientists who will be future leaders in biomedical sciences.
This year's theme is 'the importance of biomedical sciences to medicine and health'.
You will learn about:
- fundamental concepts in biomedical sciences
- the structure and functions of the major organ systems
- key concepts in molecular and cell biology
You will take the following compulsory courses:
- Integrative Biomedical Sciences 1
- Introduction to Cell and Molecular Biology
This year's theme is 'foundational understanding of biomedical sciences'.
You will build on your knowledge and skills, learning about:
- the theory and practice of techniques in basic and applied biomedical science research
key concepts in biology, such as:
- the genetic basis of life
- further study on important body systems
- modern human molecular genetics
- the fundamental characteristics of microorganisms involved in human disease
You will take the following compulsory courses:
- Applied Biomedical Sciences 2
- Integrated Functions of Body Systems 2
- Building an Organism 2
- Biomedical Genetics 2
- Microorganisms and Immunity 2
This year's theme is 'developing knowledge from experiment'.
You will continue to develop the following attributes of a biomedical scientist:
- Depth and breadth of knowledge
- Analytical and critical skills
- Research and enquiry
This year features a strong practical component, designed to hone your practical laboratory skills and understanding and application of experimental design.
You will take three compulsory courses:
- Integrative Biomedical Sciences 3
- Human Disease: From Research to Clinic 3A
- Human Disease: From Research to Clinic 3B
You will complement this knowledge with two options from a choice of four elective courses:
- Principles of Neuroscience
- Molecular Biology and Epigenetics
- Endocrine and Reproductive Biology
This year's theme is 'research in practice'.
You will take the following compulsory courses to reinforce and extend your knowledge, critical thinking and communication skills.
- Integrative Biomedical Sciences 4
- Integrative Biomedical Sciences Project Preview
- Integrative Biomedical Sciences Research Project
- Integrative Biomedical Sciences Synoptic Exam
You will also take two optional courses that discuss cutting-edge topics in depth, choosing from:
- Biomedical Image Analysis
- Brain, Cognition and Artificial Intelligence
- Inflammation and Inflammatory Diseases
- Cancer Biology
- Ion Channel Biology
- Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine
With one-to-one support from a supervisor, you will complete a major research project involving original laboratory-based research.
Your studies will take place in state-of-the-art facilities at the new Zhejiang University International Campus.
Situated in Haining, China, between Hangzhou and Shanghai, the campus features:
- on-site accommodation
- a fitness centre
- a library cafe
- newly-built research and project laboratories
How will I learn?
Your development as a biomedical scientist, and as an individual, is fostered through:
- lectures and tutorials that teach specific biomedical sciences knowledge and the underlying scientific principles
- problem-based learning that develops your learning skills and encourages an analytical and interpretative approach to problem-solving
- practical skills in the design and execution of laboratory-based experimental investigation
- research in practice that builds your understanding of the research methodologies governing the quantification, analysis and interpretation of scientific data.
How will I be assessed?
We use in-course assessment and exams in all years.
Your degree classification for your University of Edinburgh degree will be based on your performance in Years 3 and 4.
Your degree classification for your Zhejiang University degree will be based on your performance over the four years of the programme.
A large proportion of biomedical sciences graduates choose to go on to further study before entering academic or industry-based research careers, or healthcare-related professions.
Graduates generally enter employment that requires:
- an understanding of biomedical processes
- the ability to research novel questions using scientific literature and other data sources
These careers include:
- laboratory research
- disease diagnosis
- the pharmaceutical industry
- scientific publishing
The skills and knowledge you will gain on this programme also equip you for employment in the non-science sector, including:
- policy research
Applications and admissions for Chinese nationals will be through the usual Chinese national university admission process.
International applicants (non-Chinese passport holders)
These are the requirements that students must have (or be predicted to attain) to be considered for entry. Each year there is a specific number of places available and where the number of applicants exceeds the number of places then a selection process based on academic achievement, personal statement and references will be used. Meeting the entry requirement does not guarantee a place on the programme.
SQA Highers: ABBB by end of S5 or AABB/ABBBB by end of S6, to include Biology and Chemistry at B. BBB must be achieved in one year of S4-S6. Higher Mathematics or Physics and Advanced Higher Biology and Chemistry are recommended. National 5s: Mathematics at B and English at C.
A levels: ABB, in one sitting, to include Biology and Chemistry at B. Mathematics or Physics is recommended. GCSEs: Mathematics at B or 6 and English at C or 4.
IB: 32 points with 655 at HL to include Biology and Chemistry, one at 5 and one at 6. Mathematics or Physics is recommended. SL: English at 5 and Mathematics at 4. From 2021, both the Mathematics Analysis & approaches and Applications & interpretation pathways will be accepted.
You must demonstrate a level of English language competency at a level that will enable you to succeed in your studies, regardless of your nationality or country of residence.
SQA, GCSE and IB
For SQA, GCSE and IB students, unless a higher level is specified in the stated entry requirements, a pass is required in English at the following grades or higher:
- SQA National 5 at C
- SQA Standard Grade at 3
- SQA Intermediate 1 at A
- SQA Intermediate 2 at C
- GCSE at C or 4
- Level 2 Certificate at C
- IB Standard Level at 5 (English ab initio is not accepted for entry)
English language tests
We accept the following English language qualifications at the grades specified:
- IELTS Academic module overall 6.5 with 6.0 in each component
- TOEFL iBT (including Special Home Edition) 92 or above with 23 in each section. We do not accept TOEFL MyBest Score to meet our English language requirements.
- Cambridge English: Advanced or Proficiency overall 176 with 169 in each component
- Trinity ISE: ISE II with a distinction in all four components
We also accept a wider range of international qualifications and tests.
English language qualifications must be no more than three and a half years old from the start date of the degree you are applying to study, unless you are using IELTS, TOEFL, or Trinity ISE, in which case it must be no more than two years old.
Applications should be submitted through the ZJU-UoE Institute website.
This information is part of a government initiative to enhance the material that higher education institutions provide about their degree programmes.
It is one of many sources of information which will enable you to make an informed decision on what and where to study.
Please note that some programmes do not have Discover Uni data available.
You will be responsible for the cost of your accommodation and living expenses on the International Campus of Zhejiang University in Haining, China.
Fees and scholarships
You can find information about fees and scholarships for this programme on the ZJU-UoE Institute website:
For more information on how much it will cost to study with us and the financial support available see our fees and funding information.
- ZJE International Admissions Team
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (+86) 0571-87572810
- Web: Integrative Biomedical Sciences (based in China) website