Undergraduate study - 2018 entry

Taking a year out

We accept applications from students who wish to take a year out of study before starting university.

Photo of students in front of the Balmoral Hotel in the city centre

If you are planning to take a year out, you can:

  • apply for deferred entry in your final year at school or college; or
  • make an application for immediate entry during your year out.

Please note that competition for places is extremely high and applicants who apply during their year out with qualifications achieved, may be in a stronger position than those who apply for deferred entry with predicted grades.

Please contact the relevant college admissions office before submitting your application for advice on your programme choice. Not all programmes accept deferred entry applications.

Medicine and Veterinary Medicine

Applicants to veterinary medicine and Non-EU international applicants to medicine who wish to take a year out, will not be considered for deferred entry and should apply during their year out.

Scottish applicants to medicine who wish to take a year out are strongly encouraged to do so after completing S6.

Personal statement

You should include in your personal statement details of how you intend to spend, or have spent, your year out.

This is particularly important for subjects such as medicine and veterinary medicine, where a year out provides an opportunity to extend your education and prepare you for your degree studies.

To best prepare for mathematics or language degrees, we recommend that you use your year out to undertake work which will maintain your mathematics or language skills.

Further information

Further information about deferred entry is available from our college admissions offices.

Admissions offices

Related links

Admissions policies and procedures

Terms and Conditions of Admissions