Undergraduate study - 2020 entry

Transfer from another university

We can consider your application to transfer from another university if you meet our transfer criteria.

Photo of the Queen's Medical Research Institute on the Little France campus

You must make transfer applications through UCAS. The normal deadlines still apply.

As we receive many applications from well-qualified applicants each year, the number of places available to transfer students is extremely limited.

If you have studied for more than a year at your current institution before applying to transfer, you will not be given priority for a place over qualified applicants who have not yet studied at degree level.

Please contact the relevant college admissions office before submitting your UCAS application, so that we can discuss your options with you. 

Admissions offices

False start

We understand that sometimes a student will find they have made a mistake in their choice of degree or university. If this applies to you, we may consider that you have had a false start.

If you apply to transfer during your first year at another university, or if you leave your original university during (or at the end of) your first year and apply to us in a subsequent year, you will be classed as a "false start". You will be treated as a new applicant and will be considered alongside all other new applicants in the competitive admissions process.

You will normally need to have strong school or college qualifications that meet our published entry requirements.

You may apply to restart Year 1 on a different degree, or to transfer to the same degree in Year 1 or Year 2. It is not normally possible to transfer beyond Year 2.

If you want to transfer to Year 2 of the same degree programme, we will also require information regarding the courses you have studied at university in order to assess the curriculum match with the first year of Edinburgh’s degree programme. However, even if you apply for Year 2, you will be considered in the same way as a Year 1 applicant would be in terms of competition for places.

We advise all applicants to contact the relevant admissions office to discuss their circumstances before submitting an application.

Admissions offices

Medicine and Veterinary Medicine

We don’t normally consider transfers into medicine and veterinary medicine programmes. However, Oxford, Cambridge and St Andrews pre-clinical medical students may apply for medicine.

If you have left your previous institution during or at the end of your first year, you may be able to apply as a new applicant for Year 1 of the MBChB Medicine programme. You should contact the Medicine admissions office to discuss your options.

College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine

  • Undergraduate medicine admissions
  • The University of Edinburgh

Contact details



The Chancellor's Building
49 Little France Crescent

Post Code
EH16 4SB

Special circumstances

There are times where you may need to change universities for personal reasons that make it essential to continue your studies in Edinburgh. For example, you may have a health condition which requires you to be near to specialist services in the city, or you may have taken on primary caring responsibility for someone living in Edinburgh.

We can consider an application in these circumstances, providing you have sufficient documentary evidence, but you should contact the relevant admissions office to discuss your situation before submitting an application. We cannot take special circumstances into account after an application has been submitted.

In all cases we will require information regarding the courses you have studied at university in order to assess the curriculum match with the first year of Edinburgh’s degree programme.

Admissions offices

Edinburgh students

If you are currently studying with us and would like to discuss transferring to a different programme, you should contact your personal tutor in the first instance.

Related links