Undergraduate study - 2025 entry
Edinburgh: Extraordinary futures await.

Student carers

If you give unpaid care to a family member, guardian or friend, we can help you with the university application process, find financial help and support you throughout your degree.

Definition of a student carer 

As a student carer, you give emotional or practical care to someone who would not be able to look after themself otherwise. For instance, you may need to help someone for the following reasons: 

  • they have ill health (including mental health conditions)

  • they have a disability 

  • they have an addiction  

What entry requirements to apply with

If you’ve completed a recognised bridging programme 

If you’re a student carer and have completed a recognised bridging programme, then you meet the criteria for a Plus Flag widening access offer. This means we will consider your application if you have achieved or are predicted to achieve our minimum entry requirements, rather than our standard entry requirements. 

Recognised bridging programme details 

Find entry requirements on our degree finder 

If you live permanently in the UK, then we usually offer you a place on your chosen degree wherever this is possible. 

If you’ve not completed a recognised bridging programme 

If you’ve not completed a recognised bridging programme, then we will assess your application using the standard entry requirements criteria and consider your application under the University’s challenging circumstances policy, provided you have added information about your circumstances in your UCAS application. 

Widening access offers information

Challenging circumstances information

Apply for funding

Depending on your household income, you may have access to extra financial support from the University. 

But you first need to apply for funding from your government student finance provider, such as the following: 

Our team can help you apply for funding. 

Contact us by email 

If you live permanently in the UK 

If you live permanently in the UK, then you might be eligible for the Access Edinburgh scholarship, depending on your household income.

This scholarship will give you money every year of your degree programme to help cover your costs. You do not need to pay this money back after you graduate.  

Access Edinburgh scholarship

When you’re a University student 

Support from your named contact  

While you’re a student at the University, you will have access to a member of our Edinburgh Cares team known as a named contact. This person is available to help you at any time throughout your whole degree.  

Access to health and wellbeing services  

If you need to use any health and wellbeing services, we can guide you to the right place to find help.  

Health and wellbeing services  

Social groups  

We can help connect you with other students so you can make new friends at the University.    

We organise social events to help you feel part of our community. In the past, our team has organised bouldering activities, a day trip to the beach and theatre trips.  

University sports clubs  

University society groups  


Contact the Edinburgh Cares team

Email: edinburghcares@ed.ac.uk

Phone: 07884 117 146 (contact hours: Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm UK time) 

Contact us through an online sign language interpreter

British Sign Language (BSL) users can contact the University of Edinburgh via Contact Scotland BSL, the online British Sign Language video relay interpreting service.

Find out more on the Contact Scotland BSL website