Support for student carers
If you are a student carer who provides unpaid care for a friend or family member, we will give you support throughout the application process and while you are studying with us.
A carer is anyone who cares, unpaid, for a friend or family member who due to illness, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction cannot cope without their support*.
There is a range of support that you can access if you are a student carer studying at the University of Edinburgh.
How can we support you?
We offer a range of support you can access before you apply to university and throughout your degree, such as:
- advice on the application process
- a meeting or a chat over the phone before you apply to university
- guidance on funding you will be eligible for and how to apply
- to coordinate with other support services on your behalf
- to set you up with an undergraduate peer mentor in your first year
- to put you in touch with networks of other student carers
- a friendly face at the University and someone to talk to if you need
Get in touch with Aoife to chat about any support you might benefit from throughout your degree.
The Advice Place (specific advice for student carers)
*Carers Trust definition