Undergraduate study - 2022 entry
Open to the world

Support for student carers

If you are a student carer who provides unpaid care for a friend or family member, we will support you throughout the application process and while you are studying with us.

What is a carer?

You can be classed as a carer if you provide unpaid care for a friend or family member due to:

  • illness

  • disability
  • a mental health problem
  • an addiction (where the person cannot cope without your support)*

How can we support you?

We provide a range of support services that you can access before you apply to university and throughout your degree.

We can offer:

  • advice on the application process
  • a meeting or a chat over the phone before you apply to university
  • guidance on funding you will be eligible for and how to apply
  • to coordinate with other support services on your behalf
  • to set you up with an undergraduate peer mentor in your first year
  • to put you in touch with networks of other student carers 
  • a friendly face at the University and someone to talk to if you need

Contact us

Get in touch with our team to chat about any support you might benefit from throughout your degree.

Kirstin Henry

Widening Participation Manager

  • Edinburgh Cares
  • Widening Participation Team

Contact details

Related links

The Advice Place (specific advice for student carers)

Student Support at the University of Edinburgh

Carers Trust Scotland

*Carers Trust definition