Subject area: History
Why choose History at the University of Edinburgh?
We cover every period of history from the early Middle Ages to the present day and all major geographical regions of the world – Europe, Britain and Ireland, North America, Latin America, Asia, and Africa.
Beyond the University and its own libraries, there are further resources available to you in Edinburgh for historical research. These include the National Library of Scotland, National Museum of Scotland and National Records of Scotland.
The University has one of the largest and most diverse history departments in the UK, with more than 50 academic staff at the cutting edge of the discipline.
The university is not only a prestigious institution, but it has such a wide range of societies and exciting opportunities for students.
History enables us to understand how the world has developed and become what it is today. Studying events and issues from the past also affects the way we see the present and future.
At Edinburgh our courses cover a wide range of different periods, from early medieval history to the contemporary world.
You will have the opportunity to choose from a broad range of historical themes, including:
- political history
- cultural history
- economic history
- global history
- social history
- gender history
- intellectual history
- environmental history
Whichever path you choose, you will deepen your understanding of subject areas that you have studied previously and will have the opportunity to explore something completely new.
Find your degree
7 degrees in History
- History (MA) V100
- History and Archaeology (MA) VV1K
- History and Classics (MA) VQ18
- History and Economics (MA) V200
- History and History of Art (MA) VV13
- History and Politics (MA) LV21
- History and Scottish History (MA) VV12
You may also be interested in
- Ancient and Medieval History (MA) V190
- Ancient History (MA) V110
- Ancient Mediterranean Civilisations (MA) VV41
- Arabic and History (MA) TV61
- Chinese and History (MA) TV11
- English Literature and History (MA) QVH1
- French and History (MA) RV11
- German and History (MA) RV21
- Italian and History (MA) RV31
- Law and History (LLB) MV11
- Russian Studies and History (MA) RV71
- Scandinavian Studies and History (MA) RV61
- Scottish Literature and History (MA) QVJ1
- Spanish and History (MA) RV41