Short Courses

Short Course FAQs

Got a question? The answer may be here!

How do I enrol on a Short Course?

You can enrol online – you will need a credit/debit card – in person or by post. Online enrolment should take no more than five minutes and you will receive email confirmation of your booking. If you enrol in person or by post you will need to fill in an enrolment form. If you are enrolling by post you should enclose a cheque payable to ‘The University of Edinburgh’. In person you can pay by card, cash or cheque.


How much will my courses cost?

The course fee depends on the course and any discounts or concessions you may be entitled to (see below). You can find the course fee on the specific course’s information page of our website. Alternatively you can contact the Centre for Open Learning on 0131 650 4400, or at


Where will my courses take place?

The majority of our courses take place at The University of Edinburgh’s Holyrood campus. Certain Art and Design courses are held at the Edinburgh College of Art, particularly where special software or equipment is required. If you are unsure where your classes will be held please contact the Centre for Open Learning 0131 650 4400. Please note that some courses advertised as located in Paterson’s Land may be held in an adjacent location, please check the monitors and boards in Paterson’s Land for all up to date course location information or contact 0131 650 4400.


What discounts or concessions are available?

Full time matriculated students at The University of Edinburgh or other local colleges and universities are eligible for a 33% discount. University of Edinburgh students can enrol online; students of other local institutions must enrol in person and present their student card. University of Edinburgh staff and Alumni are entitled to a 10% discount, and both can enrol online using their Staff or Alumni login details.

If your/your family’s sole income is Department for Work and Pension benefits, or if you are in receipt of Pension Credit, you will be eligible for a 33% concession. You will need to enrol in person and may need to provide supporting evidence. Some students may also qualify for assistance from the Martha Hamilton Trust.

Read more about help with fees.


What if I want to cancel my enrolment or transfer to another course?

You are entitled to a full refund of course fees paid if you cancel within 14 days of enrolment and if your courses have not started. Please note that transfers to other courses are subject to availability. After the statutory 14 day cancellation period, there is no automatic right to cancel and there will be no refund of fees. Where exceptional circumstances exist, we may consider a refund on a case by case basis. Our full Terms & Conditions and Cancellation Policy are available here.