mini Open Days
Our mini Open Days are hosted frequently throughout the year, providing you a virtual introduction to postgraduate study at Edinburgh.
These events are ideal for anyone considering on-campus or online postgraduate study. Our sessions are all hosted virtually, allowing you to access them from wherever you are in the world!
Next event: 29 June 2022
We invite you to virtually join us for a day of sessions discussing how to apply to our postgraduate programmes and what it's like to be a student at the University of Edinburgh. We look forward to speaking with you!
Registration is now open!
Before booking your place, please read our privacy statement about how we will use your personal data when you have booked for an event.
All sessions are booked individually, so you can pick and choose those that are of interest. All times given are GMT (Greenwich Mean Time)
- 09:30 -11:00 - How to make an effective application
- 11:30 - 12:30 - Choosing a Research Degree
- 12:00 - 12:30 - How to get active at Edinburgh (led by our Centre for Sport & Exercise)
- 12:00 - 13:00 - Introduction to the University of Edinburgh (this is a general overview of studying in Scotland, the city of Edinburgh and the structure of postgraduate degrees at the University of Edinburgh)
- 13:00 - 14:00 - Postgraduate Accommodation - University Housing
- 13:00 - 14:00 - Top 5 reasons to study an online masters at Edinburgh
- 14:00 - 15:00 - Introduction to Postgraduate Student Life (Edinburgh University Students' Association)
- 15:00 - 16:00 - "Ask our Students" - Current Postgraduates students will take centre stage during this student panel to share their particular experiences. They are ready to answer any questions you may have about postgraduate life. If you have any further queries about applications, we recommend you attend the "College Admissions text Q&A" sessions.
Academic programme videos
In addition to the live sessions we have many pre-recorded videos from our academic staff. You access these videos at our Virtual Exhibition. Each of our Schools (academic subject areas) have virtual booths in the exhibition. This is the ideal place to watch videos recorded by our staff to explain more about our postgraduate programmes.
Student Service videos
These sessions are pre-recorded videos, that are available for you to watch at any time during the mini Open Day from your event timeline.
- What is Postgraduate Study all about - Many of us might not be so sure what postgraduate study is all about exactly. So in this session we will cut through the jargon to introduce the idea of postgraduate study and consider why it could be something that you might want to investigate.
- Support for students who use British Sign Language - This session is hosted by British Sign Language (BSL) Officer Alison Hendry. Alison presents an overview of the University through the medium of British Sign Language. Audio and captions are also available. Alison also explains how BSL-using and deaf students are supported at the University during their studies.
- Working in the UK after postgraduate study - This recording of a live session from 11 November 2021 is hosted by our Careers Service and will help you understand the UK graduate job market– including where to look for jobs and how to apply for them. Information on where to find help and advice on current visas for international graduates will also be provided. This session will also highlight the advice and support you would get from the University Careers Service. Please note this session does not discuss visa regulations or offer advice on immigration.
Text chat with College Admissions Teams
- 11:00-12:00 - College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine Postgraduate Admissions text chat Q&A. This is not a formal presentation, but instead allows you to ask your individual questions directly to a member of our College of Medicine & Vet Med Postgraduate Admissions team via text chat at the virtual Exhibition Booths.
- 11:00-12:00- College of Science & Engineering Postgraduate Taught programmes Admissions text chat Q&A. This is not a formal presentation, but instead allows you to ask your individual questions directly to a member of our College of Medicine & Vet Med Postgraduate Admissions team via text chat at the virtual Exhibition Booths.
- 14:00-15:00 - College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences This is not a formal presentation, but instead allows you to ask your individual questions directly to a member of our College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences Postgraduate Admissions team via text chat at the virtual Exhibition Booths.
- If you cannot join the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences Admission team to ask questions from 14:00-15:00 you can utilise the text chat feature that is available Monday to Friday 9am-5pm local British time on the University's website: "Contact the College Office". Please ensure that you utilise the postgraduate text chat and that you are contacting them during the live operation hours.