How to take part
Get the most out of our live sessions by setting up in advance and finding out what's involved.
Before the session - how to prepare
Most of our online sessions are hosted through an online platform called Blackboard Collaborate.
Blackboard Collaborate Ultra is a live, virtual meeting environment that allows text chat, video/audio chat, and presentations.
You will need:
- Your link to the session. This will be available through your timeline on EventsAir but for some events can be found on your booking confirmation or event reminder emails.
- Google Chrome and a computer. If using a mobile device, we recommend you use Google Chrome for Android and Safari for iPhone/iPad and not Blackboard’s app.
- Internet access (broadband/wi-fi connection highly recommended)
- Headset (headphones and microphone) for listening to the presenters, and keyboard so you can participate using text chat
- Give yourself time to familiarise yourself with Blackboard's features and accessibility, and check that it's compatible with your device
- Know what time the session's on, and if relevant to you, be aware of your time zone
Access the session
- Access your links (normally via your timeline on EventsAir but for some events can be through your booking confirmation or event reminder emails).
- Enter a name (this doesn’t have to be your actual name if you don’t want it disclosed in the chat) to access the session. We ask for this so we can see who is taking part in-session, and direct answers to questions to the right person.
- Once in the session, please check your audio is set up to ensure you can hear the presentation (note that some sessions will use text chat only)
During your session
During your session, staff from the School or department will be on hand to answer any questions you might have. Please follow their lead for etiquette.
- Raise your hand if you want to ask a question or make a comment
- When it is your turn to ask your question, the moderator will ask you
- Type your question into the chat box and send this to the whole room
- Once your question has been answered, please lower your hand
- If you are having problems, use the chat window to communicate with the moderator.
Blackboard Collaborate Ultra support
Blackboard is fully committed to ensuring all their products and services they deliver are both usable and accessible to all users.
Blackboard collaborate have useful information to help support you accessing the sessions.
If you have any additional accessibility requirements you think we should be aware of that may impact your participation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible, quoting "Accessibility request for postgraduate online session." We will then follow up with you via email individually to discuss how we can best support you.
If you have any problems accessing or using Blackboard Collaborate, you should refer to the support site for help.