About the School
Our innovative and globally engaged School covers every aspect of world culture, from Sanskrit to the silver screen. Our teaching and research span the areas of Asian Studies, Celtic & Scottish Studies, English Literature, European Languages & Cultures, Film Studies, Islamic & Middle Eastern Studies and Translation Studies.
As a postgraduate you have a vast choice of programmes and research areas to pursue, including interdisciplinary areas ranging from European theatre to comparative literature.
We span seven major areas:
- Asian Studies: We offer a number of one-year and two-year taught masters degrees in Chinese or Japanese, tailored for students with or without previous Chinese or Japanese language knowledge.
- Celtic and Scottish Studies: We provide taught and research postgraduate degrees that get to the core of Scottish and Celtic culture.
- English Literature: Edinburgh has an illustrious past as a literary capital and our English Literature department, with more than 250 years of history, is the oldest in the world. Our postgraduate studies explore every type of English literature, from creative writing, playwriting, medieval literature, Shakespeare and the Scottish Enlightenment, to contemporary North American literature and the history of the book.
- European Languages and Cultures: Our well-deserved international reputation makes the University of Edinburgh an ideal place to study for a taught MSc in Comparative Literature or an MSc by Research in modern European languages: French, German, Hispanic Studies, Italian, Russian Studies or Scandinavian Studies.
- Film Studies: We offer two film programmes. Film Studies is a masters degree in the theory, aesthetics and philosophy of film, with
an emphasis on European and American auteur cinema. We also run one of the first masters programmes in the UK which focuses on film, exhibition and curation through the development of professional and analytical expertise.
- Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies: The University of Edinburgh is one of the UK’s top centres for Islamic and Middle Eastern research. We offer a range of higher-level degrees including research and taught programmes in Islamic and Middle Eastern studies as well as translation studies.
- Translation Studies: We are one of the leading centres for teaching and research in translation in the UK, offering a taught MSc and a PhD in Translation Studies.