International applicants

Students with dependants

If your dependants are moving with you to the UK you should consider accommodation, healthcare and support.

A guide to life in Edinburgh for dependants

This guide is packed with information to help you and your partner or family transition to life in Scotland, and the city of Edinburgh.


You should try to find accommodation before you travel with your family, or you could travel alone and find suitable accommodation before your family arrive.

The University has limited accommodation for couples and families. There is a high demand for these properties so you should also look at other options.

If you have children, you should consider where they will go to school. Your accommodation will be in a catchment area for a particular school.

You can get help to look for housing from Accommodation Services and The Advice Place.


You and your dependants need to register with their local GP (General Practitioner or doctor) soon after arriving in the UK.

Most students and their families are entitled to free basic and emergency treatments in Scotland through the National Health Service.

Your local GP surgery or hospital may offer translation support. If you need to use this service you should inform them in advance so that it can be arranged for you.


You may wish to work to support your family while you are studying in the UK.

English language support

Your partner can access English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes in Edinburgh. These classes are very popular so there may be waiting lists for spaces.

ESOL - Edinburgh

The University of Edinburgh’s Women’s Club offers basic English classes to female partners of international students.

Social life

Facebook group

You might find it useful to join our Facebook group for international students with dependants, a platform to share experiences, ask for and receive advice, or talk about fun activities around Edinburgh.

Facebook Group - International Students and Dependants

Women's Club

The Women’s Club brings together the female partners and children of our international students.

The club is run by volunteers and is a space for partners and children to meet and socialise. They organise regular social events and English classes and offer rental of basic baby equipment.


Local libraries are a great place to find out what is going on in your area. They are a place to participate in community events and access the internet.

You can find out more about libraries in Edinburgh on the City of Edinburgh Council website.

Local events

You can find out about events in your area and around Scotland from Visit Scotland.

Adult education

You can access a range of adult education courses throughout the year through the City of Edinburgh Council.