New Students

Get support if you have a disability or chronic health condition

If you have a disability, chronic health condition, or learning difficulty, please get in touch with the Student Disability team as soon as possible. We can help support your learning. The sooner you get in touch with us, the better.

Challenging Attitudes, Mainstreaming Equality

The University’s Student Disability Service supports students with dyslexia, mental health issues and students on the autistic spectrum, as well as those who have physical and sensory impairments. We are keen to make contact with prospective and new students as early as possible before your studies start.

The Student Disability Service employs advisory and technical staff who can provide a broad range of support. We also work with the rest of the University to improve access in the widest sense.

If you have a disability, a medical condition, chronic illness, or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia, regardless of whether you indicated this on your application form, we encourage you to get in touch before you arrive.

What you should do

  • Make early contact with the Student Disability Service (you do not need to wait until you have final confirmation of a place!)
  • Forward or bring evidence of disability, health condition or specific learning difficulty.

What advisors can do

  • Discuss academic adjustments, examination requirements and other types of support
  • Arrange a formal assessment of needs, making recommendations for relevant and appropriate support
  • Assist with an application for disability-related funding where appropriate
  • Give information about available technology and personal assistance
  • Offer advice on study skills support
  • Liaise over adaptations to teaching and residential accommodation

Kindly note: The earlier we know your requirements, the better we will be able to ensure that they are met.

If you are unsure whether or not to disclose your disability to the University, we are happy to respond to anonymous enquiries.

Any questions?

For further information or advice please contact the Student Disability Service.

Student Disability Service

  • The University of Edinburgh

Contact details



Health & Wellbeing Centre
7 Bristo Square

Post Code


  • As we are primarily working remotely, please submit queries and/or supporting documentation via email.