How to sign up to a 'How-to' session
Get the most out of our live 'How-to' sessions by signing up in advance, finding out more about how to sign up to 'How-To' sessions that interest you, and finding out what's involved on the day.
Check out the 'How-To' sessions calendar and follow the instructions below to sign up for the ones that you would like to attend. The 'How-To' sessions are hosted through an online platform called Blackboard Collaborate.
All How-to sessions are scheduled for UK Time. Know what time the session is on, and if relevant to you, be aware of your time zone.
Sign-up to how-to sessions
1. Book onto the 'How-to' sessions
- When you find the session that interests you, choose 'Click here to register for this session'. This will redirect you to the events booking page to enable you to book a place to attend online and also see other session/s you may want to book onto also.
- Please note: You will initally receive a confirmation booking email and on the day please refer back to this email and you can find the live link sessions to click onto for each session to attend online. If you do not receive your link please email email@example.com
2. Receive your email confirmation to your email inbox, which includes:
- Confirmation that you have signed up
- Reminders with guidance on how to access the ‘How-to’ session you have signed up to attend.
Reminder email will be sent on the day of the 'How-to' session 2 hours before the session time/s, these will include your unique online guest link to join the session on the day.
3. Cancellation Request
If you need to cancel your booking, please do so at the earliest opportunity via the confirmation booking email, where you will find a button to cancel your place to attend the session/s.
On the day
Access the session
1. Access your links via your reminder email/s which you will have received when you signed up and the day of the session in the reminder email, 2 hours before the session takes place.
2. Enter a name (this doesn’t have to be your actual name if you don’t want it disclosed in the chat) to access the session. This also helps if questions are being addressed during the live session.
3. Once in the session, please check your audio is set up to ensure you can hear the presentation (note that some sessions will use text chat only whilst others may not have this open depending on the number of students attending). Please note: You will not be asked to use your microphone or video camera in these sessions.
All 'How-to' sessions will be recorded.
The presentation part of the session will be edited and uploaded onto the New Student website in September for you to view afterward, to refer back to the session, or listen to any that you could not attend on the day.
These sessions will be stored by the University of Edinburgh for one year and published on our website during that time. By taking part in a session, you give us your consent to process any information you provide during it.