New Students

Private accommodation

If you are not planning to live in University accommodation, it is strongly recommended that you start looking into private accommodation well in advance of arriving. You may wish to rent a property from a private landlord or agency, or even invest in a property for your time at the University.

Rent private housing

Man and woman signing a contract
Advice on leases, deposits, which flats and areas to consider, student support and how to avoid housing scams.

Purchase a property in Edinburgh

Photograph of front of grey 4-storey building
A small minority of students choose to purchase a flat or house in Edinburgh as accommodation during their studies.

Council tax

Stack of British pounds and note
How to register for a council tax exemption or discount and how to get a council tax exemption letter from the University.