Platform One is Edinburgh’s online meeting place, where you can connect with fellow students and graduates
We know that starting life as a new student is exhilarating and daunting in equal measure, and you will be experiencing the same feelings of excitement, anticipation, nerves and apprehension that all new students inevitably feel when they begin their university journey.
That’s why we believe those students that came before you – both our current student body and those who’ve already graduated – can offer some excellent moral support and guidance as you get started and settle in at Edinburgh. And it’s easy to connect with them.
Platform One is the University of Edinburgh’s online meeting place. There you’ll find fellow students and alumni who are offering advice, support and useful tips to each other. It’s a friendly space where you can search for people by subject area, graduation year and location or by a shared interest, and where you can feel free to ask questions and make new connections.
Get set up on Platform One:
1. Sign-up to Platform One using your student login (your UUN)
2. Create a personal profile – it’s not just about your studies, this is the chance to introduce the real you, your likes and interests. The best connections are often made when two people find some common ground beyond the books.
3. Upload a clear photo of yourself and choose a personal cover image - these will also make your profile stand out.
4. Activate your Support profile by clicking the ‘One to One Support’ tab – there you can choose to receive support from others, offer your support, or both!
5. Start searching for other members – you can search by name, education, career and interest, and for people who are offering support.
Help at hand
It can be sometimes difficult to find time to take advantage of a new online network, and to know how to find the right people, and how to make the first approach. If that’s you, then there is help at hand. The Platform One team is available to guide you through making the most of your membership and finding someone relevant to connect with. Help is available with:
- Understanding and finding your way around the Platform
- Completing an effective profile
- Finding a person to connect with
- Writing and sending your first message on the Platform
How to make connections with Platform One
- Video: How to make connections with Platform One
- In this session we will introduce you to Platform One, the Universities online community, and show you how you can use it to make connections with all kinds of people during your studies.
How to request help
Requesting some help is easy – simply click the link below and fill out the online form (UUN log-in required) to let us know what assistance you need. We will get back to you within 24 hours, and you will be on your way to establishing a meaningful connection with another member of Platform One.