Compulsory academic welcome sessions
Important information about the compulsory academic welcome sessions and optional extra activities organised to help you get ready for classes starting in January 2019.
All event information being hosted during January Welcome will be launched in mid-December 2018 on the University of Edinburgh Events app.
For more information on how the UoE Events App can help you and links on where to download it, visit:
Important dates and key activities for Exchange/Erasmus students starting in January:
Wednesday 9th January
- Move into University accommodation (you will receive information directly from Accommodation)
- Taste of Scotland event - 19:00-21:00 (GMT Time) - more information and how to book tickets: Taste of Scotland website
Thursday 10th January
Compulsory orientation/induction talks as follows:
- The College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences (CAHSS), are invited to their induction talk in McEwan Hall, Bristo Square, 10.00 - 11.30. This session will include access to the Student Services Fair afterwards, followed by an optional campus tour (limited spaces)
- The College of Science & Engineering (CSE), are invited to their induction talk will take place in Lecture Theatre 5, Appleton Tower, 10.00 - 10.45 (updated venue). This session will include access to the Student Services Fair in McEwan Hall afterwards. Some students will then be required to travel to our King's Building's (KB) campus for optional campus tours and compulsory School meetings /meetings with Personal Tutors (as advised by the College of Science and Engineering Admissions Office and detailed in the UoE Events App).
Optional Student-led campus tours (Central Campus, ECA and KB Campus)
- Central Campus: Choose between three 60 minute student-led campus tours; 13:00 - 14:00, 13:20 - 14:20 or 13:40 - 14:40. Limited spaces and students who have booked a space in advance will be prioritised on the day to join the group. BOOK A PLACE ON ONE OF THE CENTRAL CAMPUS TOURS HERE
- Edinburgh College of Art Campus: Students studying at ECA have an opportunity to join the ECA student-led tour from 14:00 - 15:00 - meet at the Visitor Centre, Central Campus. No booking required.
- Kings Buildings Campus: Students studying courses at KB will have an opportunity to join a custom-built tour to show you the KB Campus and your own school-specific facilities. The student guides will meet you at the KB Stop after you arrive from Central Campus and take you on a bespoke tour. BOOK A PLACE FOR ONE OF THE KB CAMPUS TOURS HERE
Friday 11th January
- FREE Gym and Climb Open Day at Pleasance for Visiting Students, 06.00 - 22.00 for Gym access, 12.00 - 22.00 for Climbing Wall access. (More information on the UoE Events App)
- Complete any outstanding tasks (as recommended by your Admissions Office and also the Top 6 Tasks)
- Take the TEAM Test (if required/requested to complete). Test of English at Matriculation website
- Students studying in the College of Science & Engineering - you may have meetings with your Personal Tutors today (look out for information from the College of Science and Engineering Admissions Office or from your School). This information will not be available online.
Saturday 12th January
- Explore the city and get ready to start classes - you have the weekend to get settled (and over your jet-lag!)
- Check out the various events being organised by the Students Association for this weekend and the following weeks to come (all will be listed in the UoE Events App from December 2018)
Monday 14th January
- Classes begin! Make sure you have worked out where you are going by accessing your personalised timetable.
- Give it a Go! Week - your opportunity to engage with lots of brilliant Student Societies and Sports Clubs! Students' Association website
We also encourage you to follow #EdWelcome on social media and use it to share your experience of joining the University of Edinburgh.