Apply for access to a student system
Please read our guidance before starting your application for access to EUCLID, BI Suite and other student systems
University academic and administrative staff who require access to applicant or student record data must use this process to request access.
Separate procedures exist for:
- Tutor accounts for student attendance recording
- External Supervisor accounts
- External Examiner accounts
How to apply
- Access requests must be made using the 'Apply for a Student Systems Staff Account' form.
- You must be logged into your staff-like desktop in order to complete the form. If you are both a student and member of staff, please log into your staff computing account before opening the form.
- On opening, the application form will ask for your University desktop username and password. Please see Information Services' guidance if you require help with your University login.
- Please enter your details correctly. Typing ‘n/a’ or ‘unknown’ in a field could delay your access request being completed.
- A senior member of staff must approve your application before it can be actioned. You must provide their UUN before you can submit the form.
Step one: add your personal details
- Complete all ‘Personal Details’ fields.
- Enter the UUN of the senior staff member who will approve your application.
- Your School or College may have staff designated to approve access requests. Please check with your line manager who should approve your application.
Step two: confirm your compliance with the University's policies and regulations
- The form will prompt you to visit six links to guidance and policy information.
- Please ensure that you have read and comply with the University’s guidance on data protection, security and disclosing student information.
Step three: select your role options
- Please discuss your access requirements with your line manager before completing this section.
- Role descriptions are provided in our Roles Glossary (requires University login authentication).
Step four: review your application
- You can review and amend any information before you send your application for approval.
- On submit, your application will be sent to your approver for consideration.
- If your application is rejected, your approver will explain why.
Step 5: completing your application
- Once approved, your application will be sent to the Student Systems team for processing.
- We will write to advise when we have completed your account set up.
To gain access to our systems and software, your application must comply with a number of criteria.
- A senior member of staff must approve your application, which our team will, acting on behalf of the University, accept or refuse.
- You must be a University of Edinburgh employee who is either under a contract issued by Human Resources or designated as an associated staff member.
- You must require access to student data held in our systems in order to do your job
Access for students who are also University staff
If you are both a student and University employee, you can apply for a staff account in cases where a data protection impact assessment (DPIA) has been completed and approved for your role and your job title is:
- identified in a EUCLID business requirements document
- attached to a programme or course that requires access to our systems
- attached to a student group that requires access to our systems
Further information on DPIAs is available on the Data Protection website.
Requests for access for staff roles held by students without an approved DPIA will be rejected and we will write to the approver or line manager to explain the reasons.
Once you have read through our step-by-step guidance and are confident that you fit our selection criteria, apply online for access by clicking on the link below.
Apply for a Student Systems staff account (requires Your University Login authentication)
View your application status
You can view the status of any previous or outstanding applications online.
View the status of your application for a staff account (requires Your University Login authentication)