Who we support
The University of Edinburgh believes that diversity is educationally as well as socially desirable, enriching the educational experience for all. We therefore seek to attract a wide range of applicants from different social, cultural and educational backgrounds.
The University is engaged with prospective students, their families and advisers in a wide range of Widening Participation awareness and aspiration-raising projects and activities aimed at students who are:
- attending schools where relatively few students go on to higher education
- living in low participation neighbourhoods, eg the lowest quintile in the Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation (SIMD20)
- mature students from the above groups
- young people with care experience
- young carers
- from low socio economic groups
As well as developing and delivering projects to raise aspirations and support prospective students, the Widening Participation team works closely with University admissions colleagues with regards to the University's Contextual Admissions policy.