CPD for Teachers
These sessions are for teachers from local state secondary schools who give advice and guidance to pupils applying to university through UCAS. They are completely FREE to attend and as many staff from your school as you want can come along. We can also offer CPD sessions in your school!
We understand that school teachers provide a crucial role in helping pupils in many aspects of their UCAS applications - from research to appropriate school course choice, to personal statements and decision-making.
We have teamed up with Advancing Access, a teacher outreach project led by the 24 Russell Group universities, to offer a series of CPD workshops covering the following topics:
- Introducing Advancing Access (suggested time 20 mins)
- Supporting Students to make choices at Senior Phase (suggested time 1 hour)
- Supporting Students to make choices at age 18 (suggested time 1 hour)
- Supporting Students to write personal statements (suggested time 1 hour)
- Writing effective UCAS references (suggested time 1 hour)
- Understanding contextual admissions (suggested time 45 mins)
- Preparing students for interviews and admissions tests (suggested time 45 mins)
For more information on these workshops, please see the Advancing Access website, although note that the workshops we deliver have been adapted to suit the Scottish Education system, so some of them will be slightly different from these descriptions. CPD sessions can be a single workshop from this list or a combination, depending on your needs and interests.
We can deliver sessions at the University of Edinburgh's central George Square campus or in your school. Sessions are open to teachers from state schools in Edinburgh, the Lothians, Fife, Borders, Forth Valley, North Lanarkshire, South Lanarkshire and Glasgow City. If you are interested in organising a session please contact the advancing access team who will either staff the session themselves, or pass your request on to us: firstname.lastname@example.org
CPD sessions in your school!
The WP team can also offer sessions delivered in your school to suit your needs. Sessions can be catered to whatever aspect of university application support / guidance your staff require. To discuss your needs and request a session, please contact our WP Manager Lesley Stokes (details below).
If you need further information contact Lesley Stokes: