As a member or supporter of the University of Edinburgh, there are a range of ways you can engage with WP to attract and celebrate a diverse student and staff body and campus of belonging for everyone. WP is a university-wide initiative with a role for all staff to play and we welcome and encourage your valuable contribution as WP Champions.
We have developed practical guides and a Sharepoint site to help colleagues navigate what we do and how they can get involved.
As experienced inclusion practitioners and consultants, the WP team is here to support our university colleagues. We provide advice and guidance on WP matters from data, research, logistics or student lived experience. You can reach out to us using the contact details below.
Accessing and Understanding the Data
We are developing a WP Data Guide for staff to explain the data readily available to staff, how to access it, and crucially understand it.
For more in-depth data queries please contact us.
Learning and Teaching / Supporting Students
- Ideas and examples of how you can embed WP in your learning and teaching and student support approaches can be found in our WP Guides ‘03 Guide Support to Succeed’ and ’04 Support to Progress’ and in our Sharepoint.
WP Sharepoint - Supporting Students
- Consider applying for a WP focused Principal’s Teaching Award Scheme (PTAS) to develop your practice. See previous examples.
- Consider becoming an Edinburgh Cares Staff Mentor and being paired with a new care-experienced or estranged University of Edinburgh student. Full training and ongoing support is provided.
Research-led practice is key to informing WP and inclusion work, both our own and across the sector. We have collated the key organisations and current research for you to explore in our Sharepoint.
Connect with colleagues
Find your local networks via your College WP Champion and find out what is already happening in your School or Subject Area.
WP Sharepoint - College Contacts
Working with primary and secondary schools
If you are thinking about undertaking outreach with school pupils or college students:
Read over our practical guides and resources including examples of best practice from existing Edinburgh projects.
WP Sharepoint - Working with schools
- Read over advice from Edinburgh Local / Community Engagement colleagues when working with schools and for more practical issues to consider.
- Request to join the University’s Working with Schools Microsoft Teams channel to connect with colleagues experienced in schools outreach.
Join MS Teams channel: Working with Schools
Would you like to work with local school and college students, raising aspirations, and promoting opportunities in Higher Education? Volunteering or working with us is an ideal opportunity to develop transferable skills, gain valuable extra curricular experience and support your local community. All student volunteers and employees are given training prior to taking part in any WP activities and activity travel costs are covered.
Opportunities for current students
If you are a current student of the University of Edinburgh, you can contact us at any point in the year to volunteer with us, or to ask about applying for our paid positions.
Please note some of the activities require a disclosure check through the 'Protection of Vulnerable Groups' scheme.
Current students as role models
Many of the University’s Widening Participation activities involve using current undergraduate or postgraduate students as positive role models to increase awareness of higher education (HE) among school and college students and to raise their educational and career aspirations. This is because they are much closer in age to the majority of our participants and therefore perfectly placed to be a relatable and inspiring link to HE and all it can offer. We know that the Edinburgh students get as much out of this experience as those they support!
We are fortunate to work with many amazing partners and welcome new partnerships with passionate colleagues. If you would like to collaborate with the WP team here at Edinburgh, please contact us.
List of our external partners
- Student Recruitment and Admissions
- Work: +44 (0)131 651 1755
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org