Informatics Global PhD Scholarships
If you have a strong academic track record at undergraduate or Masters level, and are highly motivated to pursue a PhD programme in the School of Informatics at The University of Edinburgh, you could be selected to receive a full PhD scholarship. Applications for Informatics Global PhD Scholarships are open now to students of all nationalities who are planning to start a PhD in the School of Informatics from September 2020.
Informatics Global PhD Scholars will receive full financial support for the duration of their PhD studies, for up to 3.5 years. This will include:
• Full funding of all tuition fees, including overseas fees if applicable
• A stipend of £15,226 per year
• An additional research support fund of £2,000 per year for the first three years. This can be used for a variety of purposes approved by your supervisor including, but not restricted to, purchase of a laptop, attending conferences where you present a paper, specialist software or equipment.
Applications will be accepted from all candidates; there are no restrictions based on nationality or domicile. Applicants must have applied to study full-time on one of the following eligible programmes within the School of Informatics:
- PhD Informatics: ANC: Machine Learning, Computational Neuroscience, Computational Biology
- PhD Informatics: ICSA: Comp. Architecture, Compilation & System Software, Networks & Communication
- PhD Informatics: LFCS: Foundations of Computer Science, Databases, Software & Systems Modelling
- PhD Informatics: CISA: Automated Reasoning, Agents, Data Intensive Research, Knowledge Management
- PhD Informatics: IPAB: Robotics, Computer Vision, Computer Graphics and Animation
- PhD Informatics: ILCC: Language Processing, Speech Technology, Information Retrieval, Cognition
- PhD Informatics: DRC: Data Science and Artificial Intelligence
Candidates must also meet certain minimum requirements for English language competency.
The scholarship will be awarded on the basis of academic merit with candidates expecting to obtain a high academic award from their most recent degree. In practice, this means a 1st class UK degree or a distinction at UK Masters level in a relevant discipline. Students with non-UK qualifications should check the equivalence of their degrees.
Applications for this scholarship are no longer being accepted for 2020-2021 as the 7th of February deadline has now passed.
Before applying via the EUCLID PhD application form you should ideally contact an academic supervisor in the School of Informatics, discuss your research interest, and obtain their agreement to supervise you. When you have found a supervisor, you must complete a EUCLID application for PhD admission in the research institute of your chosen supervisor.
The application is a two stage process; if you wish to be considered for a scholarship to support your PhD studies then you must submit both a EUCLID programme application and an online scholarship application by the stated deadlines.
The first round deadline for submission of a EUCLID admission application is Friday 29th November 2019. The deadline for submitting an IGPS application is Friday 6th December 2019.
The second round deadline for submission of a EUCLID admission application is Thursday 31 January 2020. The deadline for submitting an IGPS application is Friday 7 February 2020.
Frequently Asked Questions
Candidates who meet or are expected to meet the eligibility requirements will be reviewed by their selected research institute. This will normally involve an interview, which may take place in person or via video conference. Successful candidate will receive notification of their scholarship, which may be conditional on candidates achieving the predicted qualifications.
Notification of decisions
Applicants who apply before the first and second round deadlines, and who are selected to receive an IGPS scholarship (or been placed on a reserve list), will be notified by Friday 21st February 2020 and Friday 27th March respectively. Applicants will be notified via the EUCLID scholarships portal.