Arts and Humanities Research Council
The University of Edinburgh is now part of a consortium of 10 Universities which have been awarded funding from the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) to support postgraduate studentships and training in the Arts and Humanities in Scotland.
AHRC PhD Studentships 2021
The Scottish Graduate School for Arts and Humanities (SGSAH) AHRC Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP) is comprised of the Universities of Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Highlands & Islands, St Andrews, Stirling, Strathclyde, Glasgow School of Art and the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland and offers PhD studentships each year.
Further details of the Scottish Graduate School for Arts and Humanities can be found here.
The award will cover the PhD tuition fee and a stipend at the UKRI level.
- Candidates will normally hold a relevant First Class Honours degree (such as BA, BMus, BSc or LLB) and preferably a similar calibre of Master’s degree.
- PhD students within the eligible subject areas who are currently in their first year of study are eligible to apply.
- Awards are available to Home fee applicants and limited awards available for International applicants. Please check the full UKRI eligibility criteria here.
- To qualify for Home status an applicant must:
- Be a UK National (meeting residency requirements), or
- Have settled status, or
- Have pre-settled status AND meet residency requirement (3 years residency in the UK/EEA/Gibraltar/Switzerland immediately before the start of the PhD.) or
- Have indefinite leave to enter or remain
Step 1 Apply for a PhD programme at the University of Edinburgh. Full details on eligible programmes, admissions procedures and deadlines can be found on the relevant School webpage below. If you are currently at first year PhD student at the University, please see Step 2.
Step 2 Complete the SGSAH studentship application form and return it to the School by the relevant deadline.
Step 3 The University will select and nominate applicants to go forward to the next stage of the competition. We will notify you of our decision by email by the end of January 2021.
Step 4 Nominated applicants submit the full SGSAH application form to the SGSAH online portal by noon 12th February 2021. Final funding decisions will be made by the SGSAH by the end of April 2021 and they will notify applicants by email.