School of History, Classics and Archaeology Doctoral Scholarships
The School is delighted to invite applications from outstanding candidates for its Doctoral Scholarship Award for 2023-24 entry.
The School of History, Classics and Archaeology offers School Doctoral Scholarship across any area of study within the doctoral programme, for studies commencing in 2023-24. The award provides an annual stipend at the UKRI rate (for guidance, in 2022-23 this was £17,688 pro-rata for part-time students) and tuition fees at UK or international rate. Payment will made in equal monthly instalments for maximum of three years, subject to satisfactory performance.
The School of History, Classics and Archaeology is delighted to invite applications from outstanding candidates for this PhD scholarship designed to attract the best and brightest candidates to study in Edinburgh.
The award is open to UK, EU and overseas students commencing a PhD degree in the academic year 2023-24. Current PhD students and MScR applicants are not eligible to apply for the School Doctoral Scholarship.
To be considered for a School Doctoral Scholarship, you must:
- Hold a UK 2.1 or first class honours undergraduate degree (or overseas equivalent) in a relevant field
- Hold, or successfully achieve before commencing your PhD with us, a relevant masters degree with an overall mark of at least 65%, or its international equivalent.
If you have any queries about identifying a prospective supervisor or your eligibility, please contact our Graduate Officers:
- History: Dr David Silkenat (Semester 1), Dr Meha Priyadarshini (Semester 2)
- Classics: Dr Kim Czajkowski
- Archaeology:Dr Linda Fibiger (Semester 1), Dr Jonny Geber (Semester 2)
Applications for the 2023-2024 academic session are no longer being accepted for this scholarship as the 2nd of February deadline has now passed.
Frequently Asked Questions
All applicants will be notified of the outcome in May 2023.
- More about the School of History, Classics and Archaeology programmes, research interests and research groups
- If you require assistance with your scholarship application
- Other scholarships available to PhD applicants (please note that each scholarship has its own set of deadlines):
If you have a question which has not been answered above, please email the HCA Postgraduate Research Office (email@example.com).