Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme
The University of Edinburgh has four Commonwealth Shared Scholarships to offer for the 2023-2024 academic year.
The Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme is a joint initiative between the UK Department for International Development (DFID) and UK universities, including the University of Edinburgh, to jointly support scholarships for students from developing Commonwealth countries who would not otherwise be able to study in the United Kingdom.
Applications from students planning to study the following eligible programmes will be considered for 2023-2024:
Awards will normally be for one year. Awards cannot be extended or renewed. At the end of the award, candidates are required to return promptly to their home country.
To apply for these scholarships, you must:
- Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected Person
- Be permanently resident in an eligible Commonwealth country
- Be available to start their academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September 2023
- By September 2023, hold a first degree of at least upper second-class (2:1) honours standard, or a lower second-class degree (2:2) and a relevant postgraduate qualification (usually a Master’s degree)
- Not have studied or worked for one (academic) year or more in a high-income country
- Be unable to afford to study in the UK university without this Scholarship
- Have provided all supporting documentation in the required format
The Commonwealth Scholarships Commission requires that the University certify when submitting its shortlist of candidates that they are sufficiently proficient in the English language to cope with the programme of study for which they have applied. This will normally mean that you will have to have satisfied any requirements concerning competence in the English language which are a condition of your offer of admission.
The award is financed jointly by the University of Edinburgh and DfID. The award will cover: (i) All tuition fees; (ii) Air fare to and from the United Kingdom; (iii) Expenses for accommodation and maintenance. Payments for the academic year 2022-2023 are set at £1,236 per month for the programme of study.
Application for the Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme should be made through the Commonwealth Scholarships Commission's Electronic Application System (EAS).
Applications for Commonwealth Shared Scholarships for the 2023/24 academic year are now open.
The closing date for scholarship applications is 16:00 on 13th December 2022.
More details including how to access the Electronic Application System (EAS) can be found on the Commonwealth Scholarships Commission's website.
Please also ensure that you have applied for admission to one of the programmes detailed above - University of Edinburgh application process
All applicants will be informed of the result of their application by the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission.
It is anticipated that results will be available by the end of July 2023.