Islamic & Middle Eastern Studies PhD Scholarship
The Department of Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Edinburgh is delighted to invite applications for one PhD scholarship in any area within its expertise.
The scholarship will be funded by IMES and will cover UK tuition fees for the PhD in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies.
The Award will cover the UK level of tuition fee and an annual stipend of £15,285 and will be awarded for a maximum of three years subject to satisfactory annual progress.
The award is open to UK and Overseas students commencing a PhD degree in the academic year 2021-2022. However, only the UK tuition fee will be covered by the award, successful Overseas applicants will be liable for the difference between the UK and Overseas fees rates.
Only applications to year one of the PhD programme of study will be considered.
Among the areas of supervision we cover are:
- Language and literature: classical and modern Arabic literature; classical Persian literature; cultural transmission and translation between Arabic and Persian cultures
- History and historiography: pre-Islamic Iran, early Islamic history, Ottoman history, modern history and politics, in particular Iraq, Iran, and Egypt.
- Early and classical Islam, Qur’an and tafsir, hadith, the biography of Muhammad; Sufism; Islam in the Ottoman Empire
- Contemporary Muslim politics: Islamism, social movements, comparative social and political change in the Muslim world
- Arts and cultures of the Middle East and Muslim societies: contemporary Arab media
- Shi’ism: Shi’i history and contemporary Shi’ism
- Islam and Muslims in Europe
Applications for the 2021-2022 academic session are no longer being accepted for this scholarship as the 3rd of May deadline has now passed.
Successful applicants will be advised by no later than the end of June 2021.