The Sanders Scholarship in Clinical Ophthalmology
A number of online learning Masters scholarships are available for the academic year 2019-2020.
Each scholarship will have a total value of £1,000, which will be deducted from the annual tuition fees for successful applicants' part-time programmes of study. Successful candidates who receive the award in their first year of study may re-apply for a scholarship in each subsequent year of study but availability will be subject to uptake by new Year 1 applicants.
The scholarships will be awarded to students who are accepted for admission on to the online learning MSc in Primary Care Ophthalmology and the ChM in Clinical Ophthalmology at the University of Edinburgh. Applicants should already have been offered a place at the University of Edinburgh and should have firmly accepted that offer or be intending to do so.
Applicants must either be:
- medical or surgical trainees registered with the General Medical Council and working in a recognised training programme in the NHS, or,
- other health professionals involved in delivering eye care in the NHS (e.g., community and hospital optometrists, orthoptists, ophthalmic nurses, ophthalmic science practitioners, and other ophthalmic allied health professionals).
The scholarship will be awarded broadly on the basis of academic merit and evidence of a commitment to a career in medical or surgical ophthalmology and/or the applicant’s chosen eye care profession.
- Complete an online EUCLID application for the MSc in Primary Care Ophthalmology or the ChM (Master of Surgery) in Clinical Ophthalmology – instructions on full application process can be found on the University’s degree finder pages for the MSc PCO and the ChM CO. Wait for decision on application via EUCLID.
- If eligible to join the course, you will be given a conditional or unconditional offer, which you must accept prior to applying for a scholarship.
- Email a personal statement to declare your wish to apply for a scholarship to: email@example.com by 26th July 2019.
Please clearly state ‘Application for Scholarship’ in the subject line of your email and follow instructions a-d below, completing the email with the following information:
a) Are you a medical or surgical trainee registered with the General Medical Council and working in a recognised training programme in the NHS and resident in the UK? (Yes/No)
b) If you answered ‘No’ to the above, please state your profession, ophthalmic experience and job remit. Please confirm your professional registration, that you work in the NHS and that you are a resident in the UK.
c) In no more than 100 words, briefly outline how undertaking this course of study will benefit your career.
d) In no more than 100 words briefly outline how you envisage this course enhancing your working practices to improve ophthalmic patient care in your region.
If your application for scholarship is successful, you must meet all of the University’s eligibility criteria for an unconditional offer of a place on the MSc in Primary Care Ophthalmology or the ChM in Clinical Ophthalmology, which must also be accepted.
Please note that these scholarship awards are likely to be oversubscribed and there is no guarantee you will be successful.
Further information is available from the Edinburgh Surgery Online website:
All applicants will be notified of the outcome at the end of August 2019.