Managed Quarantine Support - 2021-2022 (Semester 2)
The Managed Quarantine Fund is available for new and continuing students, commencing their studies or arriving in January 2022, who are travelling from countries on the UK red list. We will review how long the fund is available.
The University will provide access to funding support for managed hotel quarantine for students travelling from a red list country. This scheme is open to new and continuing students.
We expect our students to be with us in Edinburgh for Semester 2, 2021/22, however, we do not want the costs of managed hotel quarantine to be a barrier to you being in Edinburgh for the academic year.
Students who will be travelling from a red list country are eligible to apply for financial support to help you to pay for managed hotel quarantine.
Please check to see if the country you are travelling from is on the UK's 'red list' before you apply for this fund.
What support is available
Our funding support will provide up to the full costs of the managed hotel quarantine (currently £2,285) depending on your circumstances and needs.
Your application and the amount of funding you may receive will be assessed based on your financial situation. We will share more details about what evidence you will need to provide when the fund opens.
Testing costs not covered
We will only be supporting those needing to enter formal, managed quarantine as result of traveling from a red list country. We will not be able to support costs related to tests which all travellers are required to enter the United Kingdom.
If you do need support for these costs, we have a range of hardship funds available to support anyone in unexpected financial hardship which will open in semester 2.
Who is eligible
You are eligible to apply for funding if you:
- are a continuing student or hold a Conditional Firm or Unconditional Firm offer
- are domiciled in a country which remains on the UK red list and are required to book and pay for managed isolation in a quarantine hotel, in line with UK government regulations
In order to be eligible for this funding, offer holders must be able to demonstrate that you fulfil the UKVI requirements for financially supporting your studies, including tuition fees and living costs. If you cannot provide evidence of this at this time, you will be asked to provide evidence closer to the time of departure, before an award can be made. Applications from students who cannot provide evidence of this will be rejected.
We are only able to provide support for students. We are unable to provide support for family members.
We will review the red list countries and reserve the right to amend our offer of financial support as the situation develops.
Please ensure you have requested or obtained your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).
For those yet to apply for their visa, please contact the Student Immigration Service.
For those with dual nationality, you will be asked to provide evidence of how you are supporting your studies.
When to apply
Please apply to the fund after you have arrived and registered for your programme. You will be able to submit your application to the University between the 10th and 31st of January 2022. We will update this webpage with the online application form.
During the application process, you will be required to provide supporting evidence.
Statements must be provided for all of your bank accounts from the last 8 weeks up until the recent month. This includes PayPal, Monzo, UK and overseas accounts.
- Bank account(s) must be in your (the student's) name. We cannot accept applications if you do not hold a bank account in your name, including if you use parental accounts/credit cards to pay for living expenses.
- Bank statements must be provided in PDF format and must show the account holder name, account number, transaction details and running balance. Screenshots cannot be accepted.
Evidence of funding for the 2021-2022 academic session
- A copy of your student loan, scholarship, or bursary award letter for the 2021-2022 academic session.
- You will be required to provide the documentation provided to UKVI to evidence your ability to support your studies and any additional bank statement to show the funds you have available to you. We are not able to make an assessment until we have details of how you are paying your tuition and supporting living costs which aligns with your Tier 4 visa requirements.
Travel and quarantine information
- A copy of your flight ticket, from your departure point to the UK. This must clearly show you name.
- Your hotel isolation receipt from the government approved provider (CTM) clearly showing your name, start and end date of quarantine.
We will confirm with all successful applicants when payment will be issued as this will depend on demand. We will confirm if your application has been successful and the amount of financial support you will receive (up to £2,285). You must be fully matriculated on your programme to receive an award.
If successful, you will have funds reimbursed to your UK bank account once you have started your programme of study.
Have a question about the process?
International travel to the United Kingdom
What if I disagree with the assessment of my application?
If you disagree with the decision reached you are entitled to request a review of your application. Reviews should be sent to email@example.com with the subject "Request for Managed Quarantine S2 Review"
Reviews should be requested in writing, clearly stating the grounds for appeal and, where appropriate, supplying additional documentary evidence to support the review process. Please also ensure you supply your original call number. All requests for review must be received within 5 days of the date of the original decision letter.
When will I receive the outcome of my review
Due to demands on the service, you will receive an outcome within 4 weeks of submission.