Scholarships and Student Funding

US Veterans Affairs Benefits

The US Department of Veterans Affairs offers education benefits to qualifying students.

Update on Coronavirus (COVID-19) for current students and those commencing in 2020-2021

The US Department of Veterans Affairs has worked with Congress to preserve GI Bill benefits for impacted students during this difficult time.  The new law allows for VA to continue to pay benefits regardless of the fact that the program has changed from resident training to online training until 21st December 2020. Also, students will continue to receive the same monthly housing allowance payments that they received for resident training until January 1, 2021.  Further information will be provided about the period from 1st January 2021 closer to the time once details are confirmed.

Institutional Eligibility for Veterans Affairs Benefits

The University of Edinburgh is approved to process Veterans Affairs Benefits.

Individual Eligibility for Veterans Affairs Benefits

Students may be eligible for Veterans Affairs benefits, if they are a:

  • Veteran, Veteran's dependent
  • Surviving spouse, child or parent of a deceased Veteran
  • Uniformed service member
  • Present or former reservist or National Guard member

The University is not involved in determining individual eligibility - students should contact the Department of Veterans Affairs directly for confirmation of their eligibility for benefits made under programmes such as the Post 9/11 GI Bill or the Montgomery GI Bill.

The University of Edinburgh is unable to process Yellow Ribbon Benefits.

Programme Eligibility for Veterans Affairs Benefits

As well as being personally eligible to claim US Veterans Affairs Benefits, students must have their intended programme of study approved. Students can check either with the Department of Veterans Affairs or with the University of Edinburgh whether their chosen programme of study has already been approved.

If the programme of study has not already been approved, the University can seek approval, but this can only be done when the student concerned has received an offer of admission. Please  email the University's Finanacial Aid Office quoting your University applicant number to request programme approval.

Restriction on Programme Eligibility - please note that programmes which are normally delivered by online learning cannot be approved for students at foreign schools.  The current relaxation of regulations, allowing online learning, applies only to programmes which are normally delivered on campus in Edinburgh.

Certification of Enrollment

Providing the programme of study has been approved and the offer of admission has been accepted the University can provide certification of enrollment of the student to the Department of Veterans Affairs. This should then trigger the release of payments at the appropriate time, according to the dates of the period of study. If a programme of study involves study away from Edinburgh for a period of time, students are advised to check whether the study away period can be certified for the purpose of receiving benefits.

Enrollment is normally certified for one academic year at a time but at the present time we can only confirm enrolment details for the first semester of the 2020-2021 academic year (see update on Coronavirus above). Continuing students who wish to continue claiming benefits should request renewed certification for each year of study by emailing the University's Financial Aid Office.

Further Information