Mental Health and Autism Spectrum Mentor Support
Support available to students whose studies are affected by long term mental health and/or Autism related conditions.
The Mental Health Mentors (MHM) and Autistic Spectrum Mentors (ASM) within the Student Disability Service (SDS) provide support to students with long term mental health and/or Autism related conditions. Support is available to students studying at all degree levels.
The focus of MHM/ASM support is on student academic progression (including perfectionism, procrastination, time-management) as well as well-being strategies including sleep hygiene, healthy eating, exercise regimes and relaxation techniques.
The MHM/ASM will NOT act as a therapist or counsellor and will signpost students to appropriate external agencies for additional and alternative support as required.
New students can expect to receive the following pattern of sessions, though each student’s support will be assessed on an individual basis:
Summary of sessions:
- Session 1 – Introduction, further explanation of mentoring support and planning.
- Sessions 2 & 3 – Commencement of support, rapport and trust building. Assess future support requirements
- Sessions 4 onwards – fortnightly sessions for academic progression and well-being support.
Mentor appointments will be tailored to the specific needs of students and will include one or more of the following:
- Office based face to face appointments
- Walking appointments
- Skype/Zoom appointments
- Telephone appointments
Supplementary support can be available to students through a variety of facilitated peer support groups.
How can I sign up for mentoring?
- Register with the Student Disability Service.
- Provide suitable supporting documentation/medical evidence.
- Apply for funding to cover the cost of your mentoring support. Your advisor will discuss this process with you at your appointment.
NB: There may be a waiting period of a number of weeks for mentoring to begin depending on demand for appointments with SDS, your supporting documentation, and/or your funding provider.