Disability and Learning Support Service

Information for parents and family carers

Information for family, friends and carers wishing to help a student access relevant support at the University.

Please be aware that support arrangements do not happen automatically

The best thing you can do is to encourage the student to make contact with the Disability and Learning Support Service as soon as possible.  It can often be helpful to discuss any issues or concerns before applying to study at the University.  Otherwise, the student should be encouraged to speak to someone in the  Service as near to the start of the semester as possible.

The transition from school

Often the parents/family carers of students with a disability or unseen health condition ( e.g. chronic fatigue, mental health conditions) have had to work closely with the school to ensure appropriate support is put in place.  Similarly, for students with Specific Learning Differences or neurodiverse conditions (e.g. dyslexia,  AD(H)D) or an Autistic Spectrum Condition) family carers are likely to have been very involved in their child’s education.  We realise that sometimes family carers have had a struggle to have the needs of their student recognised and adequately supported.  However, once they have left school, most students are regarded as being in charge of their own support.  This means that we cannot respond directly to family carers and can only work directly with the student.