Same day appointments
Same-day appointments are available to be booked on the day on weekdays (Monday to Friday). These 20 minute appointments will offer a brief helpful conversation to explore the issue(s) causing difficulty or distress and look at the next best steps to take.
What are same-day appointments
- a one-off 20 minute appointment with a member of the Student Counselling team
- for students who may be experiencing emotional, psychological or mental health difficulties but are unsure of what, where or how to gain support and feel the need to talk to someone quickly
- available online or in person at the Health and Wellbeing Centre
- same-day appointments are not available to students already receiving support from or have submitted an online self-referral form to the Student Counselling Service
What will happen during the appointment
Appointments are for 20 minutes with a member of the Student Counselling team and you will work together to explore the issue(s) that are causing difficulty or distress and identify the most appropriate advice, guidance or signposting to support. By the end of the appointment you will have a clear idea of the best next steps to take, which may include:
- trying self-help resources and online programmes such as Togetherall
- applying for support through the Student Counselling online referral form
- support from within your school or wider University student support services
- recommendation to make an appointment with your GP or advice and guidance about community-based support services
Already know that you want to refer for a counselling appointment
If you already know that you want to access support through the Student Counselling Service then you should complete the online referral form
How to book a same-day appointment
If you would like to book a same-day appointment then please call to book on 0131 650 4170 (Monday to Friday between 9am and 4.45pm) - we may have to call you back to schedule the booking.
We will ask you for the following information when seeking a same-day appointment:
- full name
- student ID number
- contact telephone number - so we can call back to arrange your appointment
We are aiming to provide a same-day response to our students, however please be aware if demand is high you may be asked to get in touch the following day or later in the week.