Student Administration

Third Party Degree Verification

Instructions for third parties (e.g. employer, recruitment agency, universities etc.) wishing to verify degrees or dates of attendance

Two different processes: One for current students and a second for former students

  • For current students: Ask the student to send you a Certificate of Matriculation from their MyEd student portal
  • For former students: Use the HEDD verification service as described below

How do I enquire about a former student?

To make an enquiry you need to register with HEDD by visiting Select ‘University of Edinburgh’ from the list of UK higher education institutions and choose the option to 'verify a degree award'. There is a charge of £12.00 per enquiry. If you require further assistance, please email

Submit a verification request

What do I need to complete my request?

You will need the individual’s name, date of birth, programme, qualification, year of graduation and award. If you require dates of attendance, please request this at the time of making the enquiry.

You will also be required to upload a consent form signed by the candidate.

We recommend that you ask to see the graduate’s degree certificate if available, and use that as the basis of your verification enquiry, or ask individuals to give you their data as they believe it was recorded in the student records system. Your request will typically be processed within 15 working days. Please allow more time for students who graduated prior to 1996.

Who are HEDD?

We use Prospects HEDD online verification service for employers and agencies to verify University of Edinburgh awards. Please note that this service is only for third parties.

The HEDD online candidate verification service allows registered enquirers to input data provided by applicants (name, date of birth, institution, year of graduation, qualification classification etc).

How do I verify the status of a current student?

You must ask current students to access their MyEd Student Self Service portal and send you their proof of student status (certificate of matriculation) electronically.  This will come to you via email from

HEDD cannot be used to verify the status of current students studying at the University. 

Electronic Documents Service

What if I wish to verify attendance dates for a former student who did not obtain a degree?

If you are attempting to verify attendance dates for a student who did not attain a degree, you will use the HEDD verification form. Please indicate the programme name they were enroled in and the year they left the programme.

Who should I contact if I have a query?

Regarding the HEDD verification process:

Other enquiries: Student Information Point,