Student Immigration Service

Information for EU/EEA/Swiss students

Information about Brexit and the EU Settlement Scheme.

Update: travelling to the UK with an EU, EEA or Swiss ID card

Please note that from 01 october 2021, you cannot use an EUEEA or Swiss national ID card to enter the UK unless you:

In these cases, you can continue to use your national ID card to enter the UK until at least 31 December 2025.

The EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS)

The deadline to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme is 30 June 2021. If you qualified for the EUSS, but missed the deadline, you may still be able to apply in exceptional circumstances. Contact us if this applies to you.

The UK left the EU on 31 January 2020 on the basis of an agreement made between the UK and the EU  known as the Withdrawal Agreement. The UK made separate agreements with the EEA EFTA states (Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein) and Switzerland.

The European Union (Withdrawal Agreement) Act 2020 contains all the provisions of these agreements including an agreement on citizens' rights during the 'transition period'. The transition period was a period of time (which started as soon as the UK left the EU and continued until  11pm GMT on 31 December 2020). During this time EU, EEA and Swiss citizens could still come to and remain in, the UK on the same basis as before the UK left the EU (in line with European law).

Providing a record of your status

From 1 July 2021 the University is legally required to check all non-UK/Irish students' permission to study. If you have been granted settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme you will need to request a request a code from the UKVI and share it with us.