Student Immigration Service

Information for EEA and Swiss students

Following the referendum on 23 June 2016, the UK has formally signalled its intent to withdraw from the European Union by the triggering of Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty. This is commonly known as "Brexit”.

Below, we aim to address some of the questions you might have, and provide information on how to secure documentation confirming your right to reside in the UK.

Has my immigration status changed?

As of 31 January 2020, the UK has left the European Union.

While this has occurred, the UK is currently in the transitional/implementation period, which means that there are no immediate changes if you are an EEA or Swiss national, including where you have a dual nationality with a non-EEA/Swiss passport. This transitional/implementation period of time is likely to continue until 31 December 2020 during which EU nationals and their family members can come to, or remain in, the UK on broadly the same basis as they can now.

Those already in the UK prior to Brexit and those who come to the UK during the transitional/ implementation period will need to apply for status in the UK under a scheme - the EU Settlement Scheme - if they wish to stay in the UK after 30 June 2021. The status granted will be ‘settled’ status or ‘pre-settled’ status depending on the length of time in the UK.

When to apply for the Settlement Scheme

If you are living in or arrive to the UK prior to 31 December 2020, you will be able to apply for the EU Settlement scheme up until 30 June 2021. 

Those who arrive in the UK from 1 January 2021 will be expected to apply under a category of the Immigration Rules in place at that time - details of which have not yet been published.

We will post further details as soon as they become available. In the meantime, you can refer to the links below or sign up for Home Office alerts so that you can keep up with any relevant developments.

Home Office email alerts – sign up

University of Edinburgh - Information for current students and applicants 

Home Office - Information for EEA nationals

UKCISA Information - EU Settlement Scheme 

Family members of EEA nationals

Non-EEA family members of EEA nationals can continue to come to the UK during the transitional/implementation period. 

We will post further information on the status of family members of EEA nationals as soon as it becomes available. 

GOV.UK - EEA Family Permit

UKCISA – Family Members of EEA nationals