Student Immigration Service

Re-entering for work or further studies

If you are re-entering the UK and you wish to apply for a work visa, it is advised that you carry some form of documentation to evidence your intentions.

If you leave the UK at any time during your stay, permission to re-enter will always be the decision of the immigration officer that you meet with when you arrive.  The immigration officer will normally check to ensure that you still meet the conditions of your current visa.

The Home Office has instructed immigration officers that students holding Tier 4/Student visas should be allowed to re-enter the UK during the 'wrap-up' period after their studies are complete.  However, you should be able to explain why you are returning, for example, to attend graduation, to switch to a work visa, or for further study.


This could be an offer of employment, or a Certificate of Sponsorship (COS), or evidence of your Start-up visa endorsement.

We advise that you carry evidence of your new course or employment, such as a print out of a CAS statement or offer letter. You should also carry evidence to show that you can afford your new course of study and the living expenses (such as a bank statement).

Where you have an offer of further studies or work in the UK, you should be able to explain in detail that you will be applying for the visa, how you meet the requirements of that visa and potentially be able to show documentation which confirms this as well as explain a timeline before your visa's expiry date by which you will be making your application.

Further information

For further information about application processes and required documents for applying for work category visas, please refer to our working in the UK after your studies page.

Working in the UK After Studies

There remain a very small number of cases over a period of years where people have still been refused re-entry.

If you experience any problems at immigration control please contact us directly.

Contact us through our enquiry form.