Student Immigration Service

Tuberculosis screening

Applicants who live permanently in certain countries/regions who come to the UK for more than six months require a certificate to show that they are free from infectious pulmonary tuberculosis (TB).

The list of countries/regions is subject to change depending upon local conditions.

You do not need to apply for a TB certificate if you have lived for at least six months in a country that does not require TB screening, and you have been away from that country for no more than six months. This includes if you have been living in the UK for at least 6 months and you return to make a visa application from your home country.

What is the TB test?

The TB test is a chest x-ray. You must get the test at a UKVI approved clinic.

You will get a certificate which is valid for six months. You must include this with your visa application.

List of countries and approved clinics for TB tests

Carry your certificate

If you need a TB screening certificate, you should carry it in your hand luggage in case you need to present it to an immigration officer on arrival in the UK.

ead about the other student route requirements