Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
A Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is an electronic document that confirms to the UK Home Office that the University of Edinburgh wishes to sponsor your study in the UK.
How you request a CAS will depend on whether you are a:
- New student (you have not yet started your programme of studies); OR a
- Current student (you have already started your studies, even if you are not yet in the UK).
If you are a new student, please follow these instructions:
- Log into your Applicant Hub through EUCLID – you will then be able to see your offer under ‘My Applications’ or ‘My UG Applications.’
- Select ‘Open Application’
- Select the link which states ‘Please tell us if you require a CAS.’
Indicate whether you will need a CAS for use in a Student visa application
Please note that it is not possible to make a successful visa application more than:
- six months before the start of your programme (if you are outside the UK);
- three months before the start of your programme (if you are inside the UK).
This means that if you request a CAS for use in a Student route visa application, you should expect to receive further details about this no more than six/three months before your arrival in Edinburgh.
If you are a current student, please follow the instructions in the link below.
You can use your CAS to make a visa application at any time before the second semester.
- If you received your draft CAS before 19 August but cannot arrive in the UK before 30 November, please contact us.
- If you received your draft CAS after 19 August you can use it to come to the UK at any time in Semester 1 or in time to start Semester 2. There is nothing further you need to do.
You should expect the standard visa application process to take around 6 weeks given current Covid-19 delays. You should, therefore, plan to apply for your visa around 2 months before you intend to travel to the UK.
Once you have received your Student route visa vignette, you must travel to the UK within its validity dates (usually either 30 or 90 days). If you cannot travel within that time, you will to apply for a replacement vignette.
You must begin your programme online and continue to engage with your studies, wherever you are in the world. If you do not continue to fully engage with your studies, we will be required to withdraw sponsorship of your CAS and visa.
The current processing time for CAS issuance is 7-10 working days.
We really appreciate your patience so far and understand how anxious you are about this. New CAS issued are all valid for six months, so you do not need to be concerned if you are unable to get to the University immediately. You can use this CAS to make a visa application for later arrival, as long as you continue to engage with your studies online.
We don't have the resource to respond to requests for updates on when you might get your CAS, as this takes our time away from issuing CAS.
Please do not send us copies of your passport to upload as you will be required to do this yourself when you arrive in the UK. We will not upload any passports sent to us previously.