Student Immigration Service

Tuberculosis certificate

If you live in a country that requires tuberculosis (TB) testing and you are studying in the UK for more than 6 months, then you may need to provide a TB certificate in your visa application.

Who must provide a negative tuberculosis (TB) test? 

You will need a medical certificate to prove you have had a negative tuberculosis (TB) test if you:  

  • have been living in a country that requires TB testing   


  • are studying in the UK for more than 6 months  

If you have been living in country that does not require TB testing for at least 6 months before you submit your visa application, then you do not need a test.   

What is the tuberculosis (TB) test?

A TB test is a chest x-ray. You must take your test at a UKVI approved clinic. 

Your TB certificate will be valid for 6 months. You must include this with your visa application. 

Find a list of approved TB test clinics in your country  

Travelling to the UK

On arrival in the UK, you may need to show your valid TB certificate to an immigration officer at the airport.  

We recommend that you carry your TB certificate in your hand luggage when you travel.  

Next step

Read about further Student visa requirements